UAB Blazers

Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Vaden on ESPNU in Predraft Camp
jaymay2525 Offline
All American

I Root For:
Vaden on ESPNU in Predraft Camp
Vaden is playing some very good ball. He has 11 points so far and the commentators are raving on him and pretty much saying he isn't coming back to UAB. He is looking very impressive with two great assist through crowded areas and 2 NBA range 3's.

he is number 28 in Blue
(This post was last modified: 05-28-2008 05:20 PM by jaymay2525.)
05-28-2008 05:17 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

HiddenDragon Offline
Banned

I Root For:
BlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk Award
RE: Vaden on ESPNU in Predraft Camp
That's good for him. Unlike others here I think the key to UAB success next year is having a low post threat. We'll have plenty of shooters available.
05-28-2008 06:29 PM
dragonbreath Offline
All American

I Root For: UAB

BlazerTalk Award
I was looking for him. I saw the white team. I see they have 3 teams I believe.
05-28-2008 06:46 PM
Motley Blazer Offline
All American

I Root For: UAB Blazers
when asked which player impressed you the most? Steve Lavin said Robert Vaden
05-28-2008 07:33 PM
BlazerMatt Offline
Super Moderator

I Root For:
DonatorsFolding@NCAAbbsFolding@NCAAbbsBlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk Award
Why I think Vaden will go pro:

He knows if he comes back, he is not going to get anywhere near the same number of shots per game that he got this year. PD3, a full season of Toney, an improved AJ, and T-Rod are all going to cut into his shots, and therefore his numbers are sure to go down.
05-28-2008 07:56 PM
dragonbreath Offline
All American

BlazerTalk Award
BlazerMatt Wrote:Why I think Vaden will go pro:

He knows if he comes back, he is not going to get anywhere near the same number of shots per game that he got this year. PD3, a full season of Toney, an improved AJ, and T-Rod are all going to cut into his shots, and therefore his numbers are sure to go down.

Those are good points. As a alumni and fan of UAB, I hope he stays. However, Robert has to do what is best for Robert and his family. I wish him the best in his decision.
05-28-2008 08:17 PM
Advertisement

bigpoppablazer Offline
1st String

BlazerMatt Wrote:Why I think Vaden will go pro:

The flip side is with all that you mentioned is the number of shots go down. The quality of shots improve. It also puts him in the situation that he can become more well rounded as a player. The NBA does not put as much stock into stats as the average fan.
05-28-2008 08:46 PM
seasonticket Offline
2nd String

I Root For:
Are Sharpe and Huffman anywhere to be found at these events? I know Huffman isn't coming back, but what is the latest on Sharpe (besides the obvious fact that he needs to get and stay eligible)?
05-28-2008 08:58 PM
non registered user Offline
Heisman

I Root For:
Sharpe was not invited and neither was Huffman.

Vaden is drawing serious raves.

Bigpoppa is right, though, on the stats. NBA doesn't really care about averages. There are players at the camp who averaged 6 ppg who are going to get drafted.

All they want to see from Vaden is whether he can defend and take people off the dribble and hit the floater. They know he is an NBA shooter. The verdict is still out on whether he has the rest of the game.
(This post was last modified: 05-28-2008 09:23 PM by non registered user.)
05-28-2008 09:20 PM
Suede27 Offline
All American

I Root For: The Blazers!
For what it's worth, which is probably nothing, I still don't think he's ready. I think he's improving his stock, but I don't think he's prepared for the NBA just yet. The guys calling the games are not making any picks in the draft, so I put little in to anything they say. Only thing I'm scared of is him deciding that being drafted mid to late second round is worth the shot. That's a big choice to make. And I'm not so sure that he's going to get a lot less shots this season. Maybe some, but he could still average 18-20pts/game. I mean, he would still be the biggest scoring threat on the team.
05-28-2008 11:14 PM
dragondrummer Offline
1st String

When do we find out what his decision will be? When is the last day he can withdraw his name?
05-28-2008 11:39 PM
Advertisement

Morte Offline
Bench Warmer

I find it funny that he's in a facebook group about him staying.
05-29-2008 12:15 AM
TMcCarty Offline
Maximus Decimus Meridius

Folding@NCAAbbs
dragondrummer Wrote:When do we find out what his decision will be? When is the last day he can withdraw his name?

June 16.
05-29-2008 06:30 AM
ATTALLABLAZE Offline
Administrator

The Parliament AwardsCrappiesDonatorsBlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk AwardCrappies
Vaden will not do anything without Mike Davis's approval for what that's worth.
05-29-2008 07:44 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Blazer85 Offline
Hall of Famer

Vaden will do what he thinks is best for himself, and I'll respect his choice whatever that may be. Having said that, however, I think he'd be selling himself short by leaving a year early. He definitely has a chance to improve his stock even more next year by being on a team that has a chance to make some noise in the postseason. But more than simply improving his stock, he'll have a chance to improve his game. He simply is not that good when he has to put the ball on the floor. As a matter of fact, I'd say he's pretty average when he's driving to the basket at best. If he comes back next year and can put a little more work into dribble penetration, he could be a real force in the NBA.
05-29-2008 08:15 AM
Suede27 Offline
All American

I think just the fact that he's there and being noticed will put him in a better position for next year. No doubt in my mind he'll improve in the off-season and in games. Being a senior and having the scouts see the improvements he's likely to make will make him a first-rounder next year in my opinion.

On a side note, has anyone thought about what kind of recognition UAB is going to get next year with Cousins, and maybe one or two more in the McDonalds All American game? And THEN, IF Vaden goes in the first round? And what about Delaney? Anyone think he'll be a draft candidate? Personally, I think he's got NBA talent. But could he be a true PG in the NBA is the question? I don't think he could play the 2. Maybe, but doubtful.

BTW, there's no draft camp anymore after this year. NBA thinks it's not worth the money spent on it, and is killing it after this year.
(This post was last modified: 05-29-2008 11:32 AM by Suede27.)
05-29-2008 11:31 AM
Advertisement

dragondrummer Offline
1st String

Suede27 Wrote:I think just the fact that he's there and being noticed will put him in a better position for next year. No doubt in my mind he'll improve in the off-season and in games. Being a senior and having the scouts see the improvements he's likely to make will make him a first-rounder next year in my opinion.

On a side note, has anyone thought about what kind of recognition UAB is going to get next year with Cousins, and maybe one or two more in the McDonalds All American game? And THEN, IF Vaden goes in the first round? And what about Delaney? Anyone think he'll be a draft candidate? Personally, I think he's got NBA talent. But could he be a true PG in the NBA is the question? I don't think he could play the 2. Maybe, but doubtful.

BTW, there's no draft camp anymore after this year. NBA thinks it's not worth the money spent on it, and is killing it after this year.

I think the possibility of Delaney going pro will be determined by how much extra practice he put on his mid/long range jumper. If he improved a decent amount on that and still has most of his driving and ball-handling ability I think he will have a decent chance.
05-29-2008 11:39 AM
Suede27 Offline
All American

It would be interesting to see how he would run the point actually having more scoring threats on the floor. We've only seen him run the point when the cupboard was bare.
05-29-2008 11:44 AM
bigpoppablazer Offline
1st String

dragondrummer Wrote:
Suede27 Wrote:I think just the fact that he's there and being noticed will put him in a better position for next year. No doubt in my mind he'll improve in the off-season and in games. Being a senior and having the scouts see the improvements he's likely to make will make him a first-rounder next year in my opinion.

I think the possibility of Delaney going pro will be determined by how much extra practice he put on his mid/long range jumper. If he improved a decent amount on that and still has most of his driving and ball-handling ability I think he will have a decent chance.

If Delaney still has his quickness, he is the type of player that could make a career out of being a role player. Shut down defender and has so much speed on offense you have to match him up with a strong defender.

Next year with Delaney on the court, it would not surprise me to see Vaden avg 25+ per game, as he will be getting really good looks at the basket and will be guarded with bigger slower defenders. AJ and Delaney will cause haoc with their speed. A small line-up could see a player like T-Rod or Toney being covered by a teams worst defender. And, then if Sharpe is eligible what true center can chase him around the court. A team will have to score a lot of pts to beat this team next year.
05-29-2008 12:15 PM
Grammar-Nazi Offline
Grammar police

Folding@NCAAbbs
Absolutely and honestly speaking as an academic, I think every athlete who leaves school early without a degree is doing himself a disservice.

I have never bought, nor will I ever buy, the argument that "I'm doing what's best for my family." O.J. Mayo and Reggie Bush are proof if you are a professional-quality athlete, your family is being taken care of. For every athlete caught, hundreds more exist under the surface.
05-29-2008 03:06 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.