Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Best site: Canton
Bookmark and Share
Schadenfreude Offline
Professional Tractor Puller

I Root For: Bowling Green

CrappiesCrappiesCrappies

Of the four or five candidates mentioned for the MACC, Canton is far and away best.

The stadium is a little small of the perfect size. But the tie in to the Pro Football Hall of Fame is so enormously cool that we won't have to be the least bit defensive about the small size of the stadium.

In fact, the MAC will make much, much more sense to casual viewers when its championship game is viewed from Canton. Basically, the subliminal message is this: "Ohio didn't invent football. But it perfected it. Football is life in this state -- and that's so many Ohio universities play at the sport's highest level. Because they must. It is an primal imperative."

As for the others, this is how I rank them:

1. Paul Brown Stadium, Cincinnati. It's too big. But, on the bright side, I think the community is sincerely interested in hosting the game, and we could get attention there in much the same way the MAC tournament gets attention in Cleveland.

2. Crew Stadium, Columbus. The stadium is closer to the right size (but, like Fawcett, on the small side), but I'm not sure the MACC could win over Columbus in the same way the MAC basketball tournament is winning over Clevelanders. Around here, the world is viewed through scarlet-colored glasses. I worry our game would not get much more coverage than the local media are giving the World Cup qualfier planned for this weekend between the United States and Grenada. That is to say, little.

3. Ford Field, Detroit. This is a wonderful stadium, but holding the game here would really knock a lot of the wind out of the anticipation for the Motor City Bowl.

4. Cleveland Browns Stadium. One of the media mentioned this today, but I don't think this is even under consideration. This is a grass field, and I don't see the Browns allowing a football game on that field in early December. But it is an excellent choice. If the MAC tournament wasn't already here, it would be a better choice than Cincinnati.
06-10-2004 08:36 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

HerdKixButt Offline
Special Teams

I Root For:

I agree. I've never been to Canton and checking out the Hall of Fame would be cool if the Herd gets in it.
06-10-2004 09:04 AM
DrTorch Offline
Proved mach and GTS to be liars

I Root For: ASU, BGSU
CrappiesDonatorsBalance of Power Contest

Schadenfreude Wrote:Of the four or five candidates mentioned for the MACC, Canton is far and away best.

The stadium is a little small of the perfect size. But the tie in to the Pro Football Hall of Fame is so enormously cool that we won't have to be the least bit defensive about the small size of the stadium.

In fact, the MAC will make much, much more sense to casual viewers when its championship game is viewed from Canton. Basically, the subliminal message is this: "Ohio didn't invent football. But it perfected it. Football is life in this state -- and that's so many Ohio universities play at the sport's highest level. Because they must. It is an primal imperative."
04-bow

Quote:As for the others, this is how I rank them:

1. Paul Brown Stadium, Cincinnati. It's too big. But, on the bright side, I think the community is sincerely interested in hosting the game, and we could get attention there in much the same way the MAC tournament gets attention in Cleveland.

I agree. It also concerns me that Canton is so far from many of the MAC-W schools. I think Cincy would be closer. It is probably more equitable across the board in that it's far from most everyone.
06-10-2004 09:56 AM
owen Offline
Heisman

I Root For: ham sandwich

Play it in Indy atleast until the time a bowl for the MAC has been secured there. It would be a good precursor for the bowl organizers to guage MAC interest.
Unfortunately the division winners fans have little time (depending on how soon the division is clinched) to make travel arrangements but it is only slightly farther than if we did alternating division format and one side's fans travelled.
Many would still make the trip I hope.

Personally I'm still not convinced neutral site plan could work.
06-10-2004 10:11 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
MaumeeRocket Offline
1st String

I Root For:

DrTorch Wrote:
Schadenfreude Wrote:Of the four or five candidates mentioned for the MACC, Canton is far and away best.

04-bow

I agree. It also concerns me that Canton is so far from many of the MAC-W schools. I think Cincy would be closer. It is probably more equitable across the board in that it's far from most everyone.
Actually besides Northern Ill. and Ball State, I think Canton would be closer for all the other western schools. Canton is only 2 1/2 hours from Toledo. But we do know that Canton will be 10x more hospitable to the MACC than Cincinnatti. The MACC will be front page news in Canton where in Cincy probally 2nd or 3rd.
06-10-2004 01:12 PM
Kit-Cat Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Championships
CrappiesCrappiesCrappiesCrappiesCrappies

MaumeeRocket Wrote:
DrTorch Wrote:

04-bow

Actually besides Northern Ill. and Ball State, I think Canton would be closer for all the other western schools. Canton is only 2 1/2 hours from Toledo. But we do know that Canton will be 10x more hospitable to the MACC than Cincinnatti. The MACC will be front page news in Canton where in Cincy probally 2nd or 3rd.
Dr.Torch's 7th Grade Report Card:

Science-A
History-C
Geography-F
Math-B
English-B

Overall GPA: 2.4
06-10-2004 02:06 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

DrTorch Offline

Kit-Cat Wrote:
Quote:
Quote:I agree.  It also concerns me that Canton is so far from many of the MAC-W schools.  I think Cincy would be closer.  It is probably more equitable across the board in that it's far from most everyone.
Dr.Torch's 7th Grade Report Card:

Science-A
History-C
Geography-F
Math-B
English-B

Overall GPA: 2.4
It's slightly closer for K'zoo too. And when Notre Dame joins the MAC, Cincy will be closer for them too. That's 4/7...So bite me.

For BG and WMU it's a push. OU too, but you'll never see them in the game so who cares?

The big difference is the W. schools perceive Canton as being a healthy drive for them, but very nearby for many E schools.

Whereas Cincy is equitable for everyone...equally inconvenient.
06-10-2004 02:48 PM
emu steve Offline
Legend

I Root For: EMU / MAC

I vote for Canton.

I can fly into Cleveland and drive the few miles.

Are they going to build a MAC hall of fame in Canton next to the Pro FB hall?

Just a wet dream.
06-10-2004 04:22 PM
David75URS Offline
Water Engineer

I Root For:

IMO, Canton would be great! First, it is home to the NFL Hall of Fame. Second, it's good enough for the NFL. Third, I think Canton would really support it. Fourth, it's close to almost everyone - even Ball State. Finally, it's a neautral site, as it should be!

Let's move it to Canton this year!!!
06-10-2004 04:23 PM
NIUFAN84 Offline
Bench Warmer

I Root For:

How big is the stadium at canton? I have heard everything from 22,000 all the way to 28,000. I would personally like to see the game played in Canton or Cincy.
06-10-2004 06:11 PM
MaumeeRocket Offline
1st String

I Root For:

<a href='http://www.sfo.com/~csuppes/Maps/index.htm' target='_blank'>Fawcett Stadium</a>

I think they have expanded since this picture was taken to around 24k, put they have renovated most of the stadium, and their is probally not a better stadium or atmosphere in the MAC.
06-10-2004 06:18 PM
Advertisement

MU ATO Offline
THE ONE AND ONLY

I Root For: MU, GCU, U of I

Donators

Why hasnt the MAC had such a boner for a Neutral site every other year??

Im for it. Always have been. I think the rotation from East to West sucks.

I guess some people just take time to come around like this year 2004....funny :rolleyes:
06-10-2004 08:41 PM
HuskieDan Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For:
CrappiesCrappiesCrappiesCrappies

MU ATO Wrote:Why hasnt the MAC had such a boner for a Neutral site every other year??

I guess some people just take time to come around like this year 2004....funny :rolleyes:
Feasibility. With the MAC's public image at an all-time high, it's a good time to try it out. We're the only conference that has a title game that doesn't play it at a neutral site. It's only a matter of when and where.
06-10-2004 08:55 PM
Schadenfreude Offline
Professional Tractor Puller

I Root For: Bowling Green

CrappiesCrappiesCrappies

MU ATO Wrote:I guess some people just take time to come around like this year 2004....funny :rolleyes:
Fans have been talking about this for years.

But if you must know, I'd rather play the game in Rick Chryst's back yard than at Marshall.
06-10-2004 09:17 PM
rocketfootball Offline
Legend

I Root For: Toledo
CrappiesCrappiesCrappiesCrappies

MU ATO Wrote:Why hasnt the MAC had such a boner for a Neutral site every other year??
There has been discussions pretty much every year since the winter or 2000/2001 on a neutral site. That first year it ended in deciding to rotate between division winners. Each year since there has been discussion, but it hasn't been played up in the media like it has been this year.

Also, I think considering that Marshall and UCF are leaving the conference after this year more schools are willing to discuss this further than before.
06-10-2004 09:29 PM
Boca Rocket Offline
Legend

I Root For:

If I'm going to make a weekend out of the MACC put it in a place that fans and media can have a goods time-good hotels ,restaurants,and bars.Play it in a venue that represents the MAC as a conference on the rise.Cleveland or Cincinnati seem to be the best locations.The RCA Dome or Ford Field would insure the best actual game conditions for the teams, fans and media.
06-11-2004 01:41 AM
Advertisement

MaumeeRocket Offline
1st String

I Root For:

Ahhh, we give up we're trying to screw Marshall over 03-lol How did you see through us?
06-11-2004 03:13 AM
PvilleHerdFan Offline
Water Engineer

I Root For:

Canton is by far the best choice for the MACC. A small stadium that is SRO looks way better on tv than a large stadium that is half full. That is not intended to be a shot at anyone, I just think that you can guarantee a sellout in Canton no matter who is in the game. The same cannot be said about the other arenas. Start it in Canton and give it a chance to grow before you move to a larger venue.
06-11-2004 05:10 AM
DrTorch Offline

Schadenfreude Wrote:
MU ATO Wrote:I guess some people just take time to come around like this year 2004....funny :rolleyes:
Fans have been talking about this for years.
<a href='http://groups.google.com/groups?q=%2BMAC+%2Bchampionship+%2Bfootball+%2Bcanton+group:rec.*&hl=en&lr=&ie=UTF-8&group=rec.*&selm=3vgseq%244f5%40news.ysu.edu&rnum=1' target='_blank'>Proof.</a>

Marshall fans just don't get it. The MAC didn't start with them, and won't end with them.
06-11-2004 08:34 AM
Flying Corn Offline
All American

I Root For: "The" N-I-U

PvilleHerdFan Wrote:Canton is by far the best choice for the MACC. A small stadium that is SRO looks way better on tv than a large stadium that is half full. That is not intended to be a shot at anyone, I just think that you can guarantee a sellout in Canton no matter who is in the game. The same cannot be said about the other arenas. Start it in Canton and give it a chance to grow before you move to a larger venue.
The problem is that Canton is a horrible choice for fans. If your team wins their division and is eligible to play in the MACC, that post-season opportunity should be a treat for the fans, a chance to enjoy a long weekend out of town. Play the game in Canton, and those fans who do make the journey will drive there, then turn around and drive home.

I guess Canton has some nostalgic appeal to the diehard purists on this board, but I doubt undergrads and alums from Mt. Pleasant, Muncie, DeKalb or Buffalo or liable to see it as a desirable locale. They may make the trip to see their team, but they aren't going to stick around.
Furthermore, I think Canton really sends a bush league message to the rest of the country, which would be unfortunate given the improvements in the conferences image that have happened in the last few years.

Any of the major cities within the MAC's footprint (Chicago, Indy, Detroit, Cincy, Cleveland...hell, even Toledo or Buffalo) would be a better choice than Canton.
06-11-2004 08:34 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.