Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Campbell leaving Big South to join CAA
GreatDane96 Offline
Bench Warmer

I Root For: Albany Great Danes
RE: Campbell leaving Big South to join CAA
(08-04-2022 09:29 AM)jcohen42 Wrote:  
(08-04-2022 09:21 AM)GreatDane96 Wrote:  
(08-04-2022 08:40 AM)jcohen42 Wrote:  There are times when I think people just need to look at a map instead of making assumptions about the conference. Every single all-sports CAA member is located within 100 miles of Interstate 95 (and only Albany falls outside of this distance among the affiliates), and assuming it goes to divisions in 2023, each division fits in a circle with a diameter of 400 miles. All of the CAA's recent adds (Stony Brook, Monmouth, Hampton, NC A&T, Campbell) fit perfectly into this geography. That's why they make sense.

Chattanooga and Furman, while quality programs, do not fit these criteria. I don't think they are in play.

Here's a map for reference: https://www.google.com/maps/d/viewer?mid...PIpx1hVEjY

99.99% correct in intent--that geography is a major influence in the expansion--however a big item to point out.

From a transpo/geography standpoint, Albany actually fits in that foot print as the lower I-95 schools don't make that hard right turn and instead just cruise right up the Thruway.

Albany to Monmouth is about 1:30 faster than Northeastern to Monmouth. Albany to Hofstra is an hour shorter than Northeastern to Hofstra.

Albany to Stony Brook is the same as Northeastern to SBU.

All schools SOUTH of Monmouth fair FAR worse, as Drexel (the first school in the line) to Northeastern is literally 2 hours LONGER to get to Northeastern as it would to Albany. (without crazy I-95 traffic making it far worse).

In short, Northeastern is the actual geographic outlier while Albany is right in the zone you speak of.

Sure; however, there's more to the I-95 alignment than purely driving distance. This is the most densely populated corridor in the nation. Being aligned along this corridor is what makes Northeastern a better geographic fit than Albany.

That's not to say Albany wouldn't be a quality add, I think they would provide value. But practically, when it comes to the northern division in particular, transportation distance doesn't matter as much as being located in or close to major urban centers.

I think you misunderstood my point. Northeastern isn't questioned here...I was just pointing out that Albany is WITHIN your geographic footprint and actually fits better. From what you wrote, I thought you meant that Albany wasn't in the footprint, that's all. Zero doubt (as my Northeastern friends know) that they fit.

That being said, and this shocks many when discussed, the Capital District / Albany media market is actually the fastest growing area of NYS, with close to 1.3 million people. For comparison, the Boston media market is 2.4 million. Clear difference...larger area for Boston. The media market is right behind Buffalo, at a shocking #60 (will be moving up in the next few weeks). This puts Albany in the same grouping as the Richmond, Memphis, Buffalo, New Orleans, Providence, etc. Albany is a sneaky little area.

If the CAA North ever broke off, I see Albany and Fairfield as sure bets to be added...and then you have two non-former AE schools plus all the "best of the best" of the iterations of the AE (overall athletics, not specific sports like UVM-hoops) in the North group. Full-circle...but with the cream of the former AE crop...in a tight geographic corridor.
(This post was last modified: 08-04-2022 09:40 AM by GreatDane96.)
08-04-2022 09:33 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: Campbell leaving Big South to join CAA - GreatDane96 - 08-04-2022 09:33 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.