whittx Offline
All American

I Root For: FSU, Bport,Corn
RE: Breaking: NMSu, Liberty, SHSU & Jax State to CUSA
(11-02-2021 10:05 AM)quo vadis Wrote:  
(11-02-2021 09:50 AM)Curtisc83 Wrote:  
(11-02-2021 09:44 AM)quo vadis Wrote:  
(11-02-2021 09:40 AM)DoubleRSU Wrote:  
(11-02-2021 09:32 AM)quo vadis Wrote:  Remember, the choice for FIU/LA Tech/UTEP isn't between this incinerated, ridonculously embarrassing version of CUSA and the SEC. It's been this incinerated ridonculously embarrasing version of CUSA and independence. Because no other FBS conference wants them. If any other conference wanted them, they'd leave too.

And as bad as this incinerated CUSA is, backfilled with the independent dregs of FBS and FCS callups, it is better for all of them than independence. That's why independents like NMSU and Liberty are joining. This rump CUSA still has a TV contract, still gets a share of CFP money, and still has an autobid to the NCAA tourney. None of which they have if they go indy.
CUSA’s media deal is up after the 22-23 season. These teams will probably be joining for 23-24. They will need a new deal, but I can’t imagine it being for the same money.

It won't be for the same money, it will be for significantly less than even the paltry amount they current get. But whatever it is, I'm guessing it will be more than any could get as independents. I don't think any of those three could sign an actual independent TV deal other than at the local level.

LU already has a TV deal with ESPN that ends 25.

Yes, I know LU does. I was referring to three core CUSA leftovers.

Really, if it was all about money and scheduling, Liberty should not have joined. IMO, they are better off as a program Independent than joining this version of CUSA.

But I think for Liberty, the overriding issue was breaking the ice in terms of the anti-religious stigma that FBS conferences have had regarding them. This is their chance to get in to a conference, and once that happens, it positions them to move to a better one later on.

So IMO they made a strategic move to take a step back now, to open up more steps forward later.

It wasn't an anti-religious stigma. It's being against a school that was anti-science and too overtly political. If it was a religious bias, BYU, Baylor, Wake Forest, and Notre Dame would have similar issues.
11-02-2021 01:41 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: Breaking: NMSu, Liberty, SHSU & Jax State to CUSA - whittx - 11-02-2021 01:41 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 2 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.