monarx Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: ODU
RE: Matt Brown drops realignment bombshell
(10-11-2021 01:38 PM)b0ndsj0ns Wrote:  
(10-10-2021 05:25 PM)HogDawg Wrote:  
(10-10-2021 04:28 PM)PicksUp Wrote:  
(10-10-2021 02:11 PM)Attackcoog Wrote:  
(10-10-2021 01:58 PM)HogDawg Wrote:  It doesn't matter if they are "interested in joining the AAC" or not. It won't happen. The SBC schools are already under contract with ESPN for roughly 500K each, and the AAC schools are under contract with ESPN for $7M each (or whatever it is). Why would ESPN allow the SAME teams they have under contract for 500K to move to the AAC and have to pay them more $$$?? Won't happen.

CUSA schools are the best targets because they are not already under contract with ESPN. Moving them to the AAC is a net gain for ESPN.

I was leaning in that direction for a while---now I wonder if thats a factor at all. Given that the CUSA deal is up for grabs in a year---ESPN could have the whole thing--or certainly first tier position---for 10 million or so. Thats about what it would cost them just to move a team or two the AAC at 7 million a pop.

Since it would be another year at least before any team could actually move to the AAC---Im starting to question if the "dont raid any ESPN properties" factor really has any bearing at all in how this plays out.

You still think the AAC will continue to get about 7m per school after defections? Ill believe it when it happens.

Of course not. Nobody believes that. I think most guesstimates are between $2M and $3M per school.

Even Craig Thompson doesn't believe the number will be that low.

“They have been told simply by the departure of those three schools, their average annual value drops to mid-$40 million,” Thompson said of the total AAC payout. “The Mountain West is $40 million. It’s a push. So you’re not going there for TV money. What are you going there for?"

https://www.sandiegouniontribune.com/spo...rado-state

Unless you believe Thompson was giving a ceiling number for the AAC (and I'd bet given the context of that article at the time that's the floor) that's higher than 2-3 million per school using basic math.

So why wouldnt western AAC schools join the MWC if the money is the same or better, closer travel, better rivalries? They might add to the MWC payout too.
10-11-2021 01:45 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: Matt Brown drops realignment bombshell - monarx - 10-11-2021 01:45 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.