Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

What is the future of the Southland Conference?
johnbragg Online
Five Minute Google Expert

I Root For: St Johns
RE: What is the future of the Southland Conference?
(06-12-2022 01:57 PM)DoubleRSU Wrote:  
(06-12-2022 01:54 PM)johnbragg Wrote:  
(06-12-2022 01:27 PM)SMUstang Wrote:  
(06-12-2022 12:06 PM)johnbragg Wrote:  
(06-12-2022 12:03 PM)DoubleRSU Wrote:  Lamar isn’t in the SLC until July 1st of 2023. They will be in the WAC this upcoming athletics year. I really doubt Lamar will cancel their move back. Would the WAC even welcome them back? Doubt it.

Ahh, I missed that detail that the return was scheduled for July 1 2023.

I too doubt that Lamar will cancel their move. But I'm not the one valiantly holding out hope that Incarnate Word is cancelling their move either.

If Incarnate Word is smart, since they are the ones holding all of the cards, they should negotiate a later date, say 2 years from now, and see what the landscape looks like at that time. (Question marks at this time - UTRGV and Tarleton State, plus inflation, recession or depression)

Sigh. They're not holding "all the cards." They're holding A card. The WAC will have problems getting to 6 without them, but they'll probably still get there.

And what exactly is UIW supposed to negotiate for? From what I understand, their facilities are garbage (that's why the Texas 4 wanted to get away from them in the first place), so it's not like they can demand that the WAC host tournaments on Incarnate Word's campus. I doubt that renting out the Alamodome is an option.

I'm not sure how Tarleton State is a "question mark." In 2 years and a couple of weeks, they'll be a full Division I member. I don't know what the question is. "But maybe they won't, in some off the wall scenario." Okay, but you could say the same for anybody.

UTRGV *is* a question mark, because I don't think most people would be surprised if a new, expensive, start-from-scratch football program gets delayed or cancelled. But that still leaves the 2 UTah schools, Abilene Christian, Stephen F Austin, Tarleton State and they'd need to scrape up one more if Incarnate Word takes your advice.

The same Texas 4 that wanted to get away from “them”, still invited them a year later.

Yeah, after the WAC lost Sam Houston State and the original Zany Scheme (Texas 4 plus UTU, SUU, maybe UTRGV) went bust and the WAC was desperate again. SMUstang is arguing that somehow UIW is in a more powerful negotiating position now than they were in November when they jumped in the first place.

Also, 2 of the "Texas Four". Sam Houston went FBS and LAmar's new leadership decided the whole thing was stupid and not worth a few hundred thousand dollars in airfare per year. (Remember, Lamar is in the middle of the Southland footprint, UIW is on the western edge)

EDIT:m To summarize my position, there is very little profit in jumping from one bottom-feeding one-bid FCS conference to another. But there is even less profit in jumping back. You can't unspill the milk.
(This post was last modified: 06-12-2022 02:12 PM by johnbragg.)
06-12-2022 02:04 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: What is the future of the Southland Conference? - johnbragg - 06-12-2022 02:04 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.