Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

What is the future of the Southland Conference?
Todor Offline
Heisman

I Root For: New Mexico State
RE: What is the future of the Southland Conference?
(06-05-2022 12:18 PM)johnbragg Wrote:  
(06-05-2022 12:03 PM)Todor Wrote:  
(06-05-2022 11:58 AM)DoubleRSU Wrote:  
(06-05-2022 11:50 AM)Todor Wrote:  
(06-05-2022 11:07 AM)DoubleRSU Wrote:  You are pushing your own agenda and rhetoric by lumping Sam Houston State and Lamar together. One went to FBS and a “better” conference. The other “downgraded” and returned to their original conference. Those are two very different things.

You’re right, and I was to an extent. But plenty of SHSU fans didn’t like the WAC travel, wanted to play their local teams and DIDN’T want to travel to Seattle, Riverside, or Orem, at least when they were FCS and we’re comparing the travel to their time in an FCS Southland.

A lot don’t like their move to CUSA either for similar reasons. Lamar and SHS may be headed in opposite directions, but the stupidity of joining the WAC, then complaining about where it’s members are located was just the same. Lamar addressed that issue directly, SHS addressed it by changing the topic, so to speak.

Baloney. SHSU don’t even show up to their own home games. They’re not traveling to away games. SHSU fans don’t even travel to games versus Texas schools. They’re not traveling to Seattle, Riverside, or Orem anyway. You don’t actually believe that drivel do you?

I don’t mean fan travel. I mean fans complaining about their teams traveling there. I know no one comes to their home games. 200-300 for basketball and a few thousand for football lol.

No, I only meant the fans dont like that the TEAMS are going there. Sorry for the confusion. I should have stated it more clearly.

But SHS fans also seem very particular about the opponents for home games that no one attends. Be it a Texas school or UVU, the arena is just as empty, but they feel better knowing it was a school they are already familiar with. They have an aversion to having to look anything up.

To be contrary: so what are the SHSU fans going to do? STOP not showing up?

Seems to me that when you don't have any fans, it's easier to ignore their bellyaching and make strategic moves.

True. But they WANT fans. Places like Sam Houston are trying to get fans and carve out a niche in a Texas market where no one cares about them and is flooded with D1 schools that are bigger, richer and better known.

When your football wins a nationals championship and you had home games with barely 5000 fans sometimes, I suppose the strategy for success is there athletically but not resonating with people. And at that point it becomes a question of “what’s the point” IMO.

There’s probably a “if a tree falls in forest” comparison here somewhere but I can’t put my finger on it.
(This post was last modified: 06-05-2022 12:31 PM by Todor.)
06-05-2022 12:28 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: What is the future of the Southland Conference? - Todor - 06-05-2022 12:28 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.