Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

What is the future of the Southland Conference?
AZcats Offline
1st String

I Root For: stAte, af, zona
RE: What is the future of the Southland Conference?
(07-23-2021 04:40 PM)dbackjon Wrote:  
(07-23-2021 02:30 PM)AZcats Wrote:  
(07-23-2021 02:09 PM)dbackjon Wrote:  
(07-23-2021 01:59 PM)TexasTerror Wrote:  Question and I asked this of a Southeastern Louisiana University (see, I read their memo) fan.

Why do we only hear about Texas schools for Southland expansion? If there is "Texas fatigue" as we have often heard about between the lines from the Louisiana school athletic and administrators, why do the league presidents not look north to Arkansas (GAC institutions) or east (GSC / SIAC schools)? Not sure if they have and those schools are not financially ready for such a move, but you literally hear nothing about them like you do the others.

There is no school (maybe Arkansas Tech) anywhere close to being DI

The only potentials in the Gulf South are far east (GA/FL)

SIAC Schools are all small.

There's no maybe about us either. Arkansas Tech is nowhere close to being D1. Additionally, we have no desire for D1.

The only real potential from the GSC is West Florida and they are not exploring any D1 move. Years ago, UWF was deciding between D2 with football or D1 without football; they chose D2 with football.

Any GA school would have to jump many hoops with the USG and none of the top candidates that get mentioned frequently meet D1 minimum sport sponsorship requirements.

The only reason I gave you a maybe is the size of the school compared to the rest of the conference.

If UWF was ever to go DI, I am sure the ASUN would snap them up.

Agree on UWF. I understand what you're saying about ATU but unfortunately almost everyone is guilty of looking at enrollment and stopping there. We have 4/7 sports so obviously sports would have to be added and we have no facilities for them. Title IX is a factor also. Significant costs for adding sports accompanied by the high increase in funding for current sports and followed by the costs to move to D1. Location is a huge factor too; we are a very easy 1.5 hour drive from the pigs campus in a state dominated by those pigs and only 1 hour to Little Rock.
07-23-2021 06:06 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: What is the future of the Southland Conference? - AZcats - 07-23-2021 06:06 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.