Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

OVC official response to departure - Next Steps
lion1983 Offline
1st String

I Root For: North Alabama
RE: OVC official response to departure - Next Steps
(01-29-2021 02:44 PM)UNAfied Wrote:  
(01-29-2021 02:17 PM)Fighting Muskie Wrote:  The great irony in all of this is it would have been all avoided had they just offered Kennesaw St and UNA full membership.

I was thinking about that earlier. I believe the board's lion1983 knows more about it than I do, but the OVC passed on us in I think 2011 or 2012, as we were otherwise ready to make the jump from D2 at that time. I'm pretty sure we had even been all but assured that an invitation was coming, before someone or multiple somones changed their mind. Supposedly Jacksonville State was upset about it, and maybe a few others (EKU?). From what I understand the OVC is where our administration preferred to be, by far. Thankfully the ASUN gave us the opportunity a few years later.

What I know and things I was told by people that was there,...

I know the OVC was looking to add UNA and NKU at the same time. That was 2011. We began talks in 2008.

2008- We (UNA) approached the OVC. They took another school... Wupemall can tell you more about that. No problem, they told us we would definitely be considered in the next expansion.

2011- UNA and NKU both wanted in the OVC... cant speak for NKU, but OVC officials stayed in Florence, I was beginning to think that they would put OVC headquarters here. They told UNA that we would definitely get in. Then, they added another school.

What I was told, Murray St and a couple of other basketball schools voted against UNA for Hope's of pulling in a basketball only school. They also voted against NKU and sited they didn't want that many D2 transition schools. EKU didnt vote against either...

What I do know is, that started some disconnect with JSU and EKU and the rest of the conference.

And for yall thinking that Tenn State may be an ASUN option, if that happened, JSU and EKU would both look elsewhere. That's another sour spot in the OVC... Tenn St gets what they want in the OVC, a playoff opportunity and Classic games... now they dont have to drop to less conference games to do it. They have it made... I'm sure JSU and EKU fans could elaborate on that.

And Austin Peay is not the ASUNs first choice. But probably top 3.

And Western Illinois would gladly take an invite to the OVC.
02-05-2021 11:06 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: OVC official response to departure - Next Steps - lion1983 - 02-05-2021 11:06 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.