Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Buy or Sell: ESPN Playoff Odds (not the Brian Kelly thread)
Kit-Cat Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Championships
CrappiesCrappiesCrappiesCrappiesCrappies
RE: Buy or Sell: BYU/Cincy to the Playoff?
(11-15-2020 06:25 PM)bullet Wrote:  
(11-15-2020 06:15 PM)quo vadis Wrote:  
(11-15-2020 06:10 PM)WhoseHouse? Wrote:  
(11-15-2020 05:48 PM)schmolik Wrote:  
(11-15-2020 04:24 PM)WhoseHouse? Wrote:  A 7-0 USC or Oregon would be in over a UC or BYU. The real question is would they be in over over a 1 loss Clemson/Bama/ND. I suspect they wouldn't.

A 1 loss Clemson would win the ACC. I don't think they would stand in USC/Oregon's way of the Playoff. A 1 loss Notre Dame losing to Clemson in the ACC CG would be debatable and in that case I'd go with the Pac-12 (I'd go with unbeaten Cincy or BYU over 1 loss ND as well).

I would assume barring total chaos the Big Ten, SEC, and ACC champs all get in, it's the 4th Playoff spot that would be up for grabs. I think Alabama with 1 loss as a non champion would be in over any unbeaten, even an unbeaten Pac-12. I don't like Notre Dame over other "high" unbeatens (Pac-12, Cincinnati, BYU). They beat Clemson at home in double OT when they didn't have Trevor Lawrence. There's not enough information about Ohio State or Wisconsin to say if the loser of a double undefeated OSU/Wisconsin Big Ten Championship game can make it. I'd say they'd have a better argument than Notre Dame but I'm not sure over the undefeateds. Keep in mind Wisconsin plays Indiana this year which helps Wisconsin's strength of schedule. It sucks for the B1G that both Penn State and Michigan suck.

Its not about what you or I would do, its about what the committee would do. Personally I would never allow a non-conference champion into the playoff (so long as it stands at four teams). I think it invalidates the regular season. I don't have a vote though, and I don't see a one loss ND team getting left out. At the minimum it wouldn't be for BYU or Cincy. A two loss Clemson team would get in over them. Its not how I would vote it but I fully believe it is how the committee would vote.

I think you are overly pessimistic in two senses - first, I think a one-loss ND could very well get left out, even in favor of a Cincy or BYU, if they get roasted by Clemson. An Irish team that gets routed 42 - 7 isn't getting in, period, IMO. Just would not pass the eye/smell/giggle test.

And I do not see a two-loss Clemson getting in to the playoffs over anyone else either.

That's what I think the committee's POV will be. But I am just blowing smoke like all of us, LOL.

I don't see any way the committee picks BYU or Cincinnati. Florida or Texas A&M with 2 losses likely end up ranked ahead of them. BYU does have a shot at the NY6.

What about Liberty in the NY6?

How does BYU have more of a shot than Liberty?
11-16-2020 04:39 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: Buy or Sell: BYU/Cincy to the Playoff? - Kit-Cat - 11-16-2020 04:39 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.