Thiefery Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: TEXAS
RE: How the Big XII and AAC would eventually merge
(10-20-2020 01:53 PM)schmolik Wrote:  
(10-20-2020 12:06 PM)Thiefery Wrote:  
(10-20-2020 09:59 AM)schmolik Wrote:  
(10-20-2020 08:51 AM)Thiefery Wrote:  
(10-19-2020 07:33 PM)jedclampett Wrote:  Agree, and this is one of the reasons why Texas and OU wouldn't be thrilled to switch conferences.

Another reason is that the competition with the top SEC or Big Ten schools would be tougher in FB and BB. Few schools perform as well after they switch conferences.

Further, even if the SEC or Big 10 would make a little more $$ per school by adding Texas and OU, the fans of most conference teams would be unhappy about losing even more conference games than they already do, due to having to play OU or Texas every season.

There are two main reasons why this would be unlikely to happen.

First, no network would be in a position to do this, because none of the P5 conferences except the ACC has their first and second tier broadcasting rights controlled by a single network.

Second, even if there were a network that could do it, they could be taken to court by the remaining Big 12 schools for engaging in anti-competitive practices under anti-trust law.

So you think UT or ou would be wary of the competition if they went to either the BIG or SEC? Seriously?

And the fans of those conferences/schools, wouldn't want to play Texas or ou? Are you kidding me? LSU fans drove the 8 hour trip and packed Austin a year ago. You don't think UT playing MN in MN wouldn't sell out that crowd?

As far as the lawsuits and stuff go.. They can't sue if they decide to leave as soon as the GOR expires. It's only 4 more years away but in '22, they both will be putting feelers out there just to check the temperature.

As I said before, as a UT fan, I really wouldn't want them to go to the BIG..even if ou agrees to go there. I'd rather take Tech in tow and play in the SEC.. where there is built in rivalries vs Ark and aggy.. and I'm pretty sure LSU will be the next. Travel will be less expensive than playing a BIG West division. RRS will remain in Dallas, and ou can re-unite with Nebraska with or without osu.

I really don't feel a Pac merger will really help either schools.. So if UT/ou move on.. maybe the PAC expands and grabs TCU/BU/UH..?

But if Oklahoma goes to the SEC and the SEC says to Texas you can come in and be #16 but Tech/Baylor/etc isn't welcome, would UT join the SEC on those terms?

I'm Big Ten first but from a college football standpoint I would want OU/UT in the SEC first because of the rivalries (UT with A&M and Ark, OU with Ala, LSU).

Didn't know that ou/ark was a thing tbh. Have no idea what would happen if the SEC used ou as leverage.. at that point, I see UT calling their bluff, forcing the SEC to take Kansas or oklahoma st to pair up with ou, while UT just goes independent. BIG is not for UT

I meant to say Texas with A&M and Arkansas and Oklahoma with Alabama and LSU. I'm sure many of the more western SEC schools would love to play both Texas and Oklahoma.

UT wants to "call the SEC's bluff"? They can enjoy a lot less money. Then watch the Sugar Bowl go to SEC/ACC and/or the CFP go to four conference champions. You want to do all of this for Tech?

I would do it if it were up to me, but UT wouldn't agree if the SEC commish told them.. Either you alone join with ou or you are out and we will get KU/osu to take your place. UT will say, oh really? and move on.. For better or worse, they won't get an ultimatum.. Larry Scott tried doing that and it ended poorly for him
10-21-2020 08:54 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: How the Big XII and AAC would eventually merge - Thiefery - 10-21-2020 08:54 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.