Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Hawk on Gottlieb’s Podcast
holybovine Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Eastern Michigan
RE: Hawk on Gottlieb’s Podcast
(05-27-2020 02:52 PM)Kellyhawkins Wrote:  
(05-26-2020 09:15 PM)holybovine Wrote:  
(05-26-2020 07:49 PM)Kellyhawkins Wrote:  [quote='ess' pid='16834048' dateline='1590528816']
In general, it's a REALLY bad idea for players and coaches to visit sports related message boards.

The same goes for their families.

Despite what the article in the Western Herald recently said, there's been plenty of turnover at all levels in college basketball this spring and early summer.

Jeff Van Gundy once said....."your decisions reveal your priorities".

Steve Hawkins decisions going forward will show the world whether he (really) wants to continue coaching college basketball.

And the decisions of those doing the hiring will let us know what others think of his worth as a coach in the current market.

#Fight On
[/quote

I would tend to agree with you which is why I NEVER got involved in message boards while my husband was coach. I do understand that not everyone is a fan, however, when there is a personal attack I have the right to defend my family if I chose to do so. I also care about Bronco basketball and have for years. I care about the players and the coaches that are there. Like you, I want success for the program. That now makes me an interested fan just like many others. I use my real name and identify myself. Agree or disagree. Respectfully, I don’t see how me getting on a sports message board for a team that I care about is any different than the current head coaches best friend doing the same. As for Steve’s future, you mentioned Van Gundy’s quote, which to me insinuates that his priority wasn’t “really” wanting to coach the team. Decisions reveal priorities. The top priority right now is family. We as a family will evaluate staying in Kalamazoo, which is my home, versus taking another coaching job in the future somewhere else.

You’re exhibiting rabbit ears here. Respectfully, your husband had two NCAA appearances in 17 years as head coach. I think the WMU fan base has been very patient with him, and has not attacked him with anywhere near the vitriol you would see from other fan bases (e.g., EMU with Rob Murphy). And much of that probably has to do with him being a good guy and making a positive impact on many.

But he was 20 games under .500 in his last six years on the job (18 games under in the MAC), so you aren’t going to see anyone here lamenting his loss of a position that most in his profession never have a chance to attain. The results suggest he’s better off at a place like Quincy. It’s not fair to expect a glowing review of his tenure on this site, at least not now.

I don’t disagree with you. It was time for a change on both ends. I wasn’t looking for a glowing review of him, I just felt he didn’t deserve to be name called because of the time he spent at WMU. I also agree with you that the last several years were definitely a struggle for many reasons. I wouldn’t go so far as to say he isn’t a D1 caliber coach as you suggest. He had some success at the D1 level. Of course this is my opinion and you are entitled to yours. Due to the time that Steve spent there he was eligible to retire from WMU and Kalamazoo is my hometown. My sister works in the president’s office and has worked at WMU for 34 years and my brother works for the college of aviation so WMU will always be near and dear to us.

Given your family’s deep ties to WMU, I offer my deepest condolences. Being separated from a place you all care so much about must be like being estranged from your alma mater. I cant say I know what that feels like, but I’m sure it’s a painful process.

SH’s overall tenure is something to be proud of IMO. How many D1 coaches are able to be at the same program for 17 years? That’s an extremely short list I’d imagine.

Also, let’s look at the (formerly known as the) MAC West coaches from last year:

James Whitford
Mark Montgomery
Tod Kowalczyk
Keno Davis
Steve Hawkins
Rob Murphy

SH is clearly the best coach on that list. The only one that is in the same zip code is Kowalczyk (just my opinion; Keno has his fans too). Anyway, it’s odd that the best coach of that group is the one who lost his job, and that his former school almost certainly replaced him with someone worse.

Things to consider.
05-27-2020 09:37 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
Hawk on Gottlieb’s Podcast - Nacho - 05-21-2020, 06:51 PM
Hawk on Gottlieb’s Podcast - Flashboski - 05-22-2020, 11:47 PM
Hawk on Gottlieb’s Podcast - Flashboski - 05-24-2020, 07:38 AM
RE: Hawk on Gottlieb’s Podcast - ess - 05-26-2020, 04:33 PM
RE: Hawk on Gottlieb’s Podcast - ess - 05-26-2020, 08:30 PM
RE: Hawk on Gottlieb’s Podcast - holybovine - 05-27-2020 09:37 PM
RE: Hawk on Gottlieb’s Podcast - Nacho - 05-26-2020, 06:39 PM
RE: Hawk on Gottlieb’s Podcast - ru4wmu - 05-27-2020, 04:22 PM
RE: Hawk on Gottlieb’s Podcast - DrDavis - 05-28-2020, 12:29 PM
Hawk on Gottlieb’s Podcast - Flashboski - 05-28-2020, 02:07 PM
RE: Hawk on Gottlieb’s Podcast - okgc - 05-28-2020, 06:14 PM
RE: Hawk on Gottlieb’s Podcast - okgc - 05-29-2020, 08:15 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.