BearcatMan Offline
Kicking Connoisseur/Occasional Man Crush

I Root For: Cincinnati
RE: Athletic Department COVID-19 Hit List: Growing Longer
(07-30-2020 11:56 AM)bearcatmill Wrote:  
(07-29-2020 06:46 AM)Bearcat 1985 Wrote:  
(07-29-2020 06:19 AM)Cattidude Wrote:  
(07-27-2020 10:12 AM)Bearcat 1985 Wrote:  
(07-27-2020 09:36 AM)OKIcat Wrote:  Well said. Bolded, this is a critical gateway for our institution and I believe is articulated as such in UC's current comprehensive campaign for private support. It's more achievable than AAU membership, which is more akin to getting voted into a country club.

Few of us here could provide the full financial support needed for that cancer project but for alumni and friends on Banter, participation by giving at any level is important. For Ohioans, that can be as simple as going online and ordering a UC license plate (I saw far too many for OSU this weekend visiting family in northeast OH). For others, a gift through the telefund or online for your college or alumni association or UCATS makes an impact. Large numbers of small gifts have been another avenue to empowering many of our major public research peers.

I won't dismiss AAU membership to that degree; that should always be the number one, long term institutional goal for UC. That being said, though, I've often said on here that UC was too far off in many of the hard and soft metrics to be a final candidate--not to mention that anyone with a knowledge of the situation knew that Utah was next public in. UC needs to really strengthen its core Arts & Sciences departments: not only stronger physics and chemistry but also stronger history and political science departments. Georgia Tech's admission was delayed for years, not because the AAU is a country club, but because they were viewed as too one-dimensional and found lacking in many of the soft metrics that, while not of primary importance, are absolutely considered in the overall package. Ono knew that, yet he kept tweeting that it was just around the corner. And when it wasn't and prominent political and business leaders called him on the carpet, he told them the absolute lie that OSU had lined up a Big Ten block to blackball UC, something that immediately got back to Columbus.

I think you see the positive change in the relationship with OSU under Pinto in the fact that the first Bearcat and Buckeye Day at the statehouse came about after Ono had hit the road. What will come of this more constructive relationship, I don't know. It, however, can't be worse than what Ono accomplished with his poke a stick in their eye approach.

I thought that the Bearcats and Buckeyes day at the statehouse started under Ono but I'm probably wrong. I didn't pay much attention to when it started. I was wondering if it was happening this year but obviously not now. I'm glad that the partnership has started though. I'd rather try to work with OSU than have them screwing us over like they were when Gordon Gee was there.

I am excited for the push for Comprehensive Cancer Center. Would be big for the university.

The first one was a couple of months after Ono left. It may have been planned in his last few months in office, but he was already on his way out the door, and I'm not sure that OSU would have agreed to partner with us on it or anything else had he been sticking around. "Multiple Flagships" 03-banghead was probably the most tone-deaf, ignorant of the history thing that Ono could have done. It set relations with OSU back years and alienated the other university Presidents who clearly recognized that Ono was really angling for co-flagships and just trying to use them as pawns, all the while its only accomplishment was in getting the Governor to go on record as saying it would never happen.

CCC is huge. What we have working against us is that Ohio already has two, but UC Med has definitely put itself in a position to be a serious and worthy candidate. Also, this is still the much more logical area for UC to put it efforts towards right now. And, if we get it, that's just one more box checked off towards AAU membership. Though I can't stress enough that UC needs to seriously strengthen the core Arts & Sciences to have a real shot down the road.

Not sure how much or little input Ono had on the Bearcat/buckeye day, at the statehouse. Alumni Advocacy group, at the time under Alex Coorey, put this together. Alex worked out of UC's Government Relations office in Columbus. Greg Vehr is ahead of this department. I believe both spearheaded the day in Columbus. Both are great to work with. Since Alex has moved onto other endeavors, I have not heard much from the advocacy group.

If he's anything like his children were, I'd trust him to work his ass off for us.

07-30-2020 12:29 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: Athletic Department COVID-19 Hit List: Growing Longer - BearcatMan - 07-30-2020 12:29 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.