ODU Monarchs

Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

OT- Corona Virus- Where do we go from here?
Monarchblue Offline
Heisman

I Root For: ODU
RE: OT- Corona Virus- Where do we go from here?
(08-26-2020 12:15 PM)mturn017 Wrote:  
(08-26-2020 12:07 PM)Monarchblue Wrote:  
(08-26-2020 10:49 AM)mturn017 Wrote:  
(08-26-2020 10:33 AM)ODUCoach Wrote:  So, after 6 months, we agree that we know very little....are we really supposed to stay locked down until we have all of the answers? Doesn't it make more sense for us to protect vulnerable populations, try to get back to normal for everyone else, and then make adjustments as we learn?

I still don't understand how you suggest we protect vulnerable populations. around 40-45% of all Americans are considered obese. That's just one condition that makes you vulnerable. It's fine to tell retirees to stay home but most people have to work. Limiting the superspreading situations like large gatherings is the best we can do if we want to keep everything else open. What exactly do you mean by "locked down"? Are you sheltering in place?

We could start by having the CDC provide actual data as it relates to individual vulnerabilities. How much does obesity increase the chance of hospitalization, how much for death? Is there a threshold of how obese people need to be to be effected adversely and how much does COVID+vulnerability increase your chances of dying versus flu, something for which people understand the risk. Diabetes, high blood pressure, smoking, age... How much do they increase your vulnerability? What happens when we combine two factors. Why is there not a matrix that I can reference to immediately assess my vulnerability. Why is this not widespread information that is plastered on every PSA and COVID related website right now? It almost feels like they think we if the population knows the actual risk for each individual, they will decide on their own that this is not nearly as big of a deal for most people as it is being portrayed to be.

I thought we agreed a few posts ago that this virus has only been studied for a handful of months and we know very little about it. Now you're demanding answers and seemingly accusing authorities (or "medical experts" - with the quotes as you guys like to say) of withholding information. Seems pretty entitled and out of touch.

I am demanding data. Surely there is data that can be queried to derive statistics showing the likelihood of outcomes as they relate to health variables. And if there is not, that is a failure.

I can understand science taking time, but data can be collected and shared in nearly real time. We have over 5 million confirmed cases. That is 5 Million people we should have data on. 5 Million cases that should be logged into a database that is able to cross reference COVID outcomes with patient data. If that doesn't exist, it is maybe the biggest failure to date in our CDC tracking apparatus.
08-26-2020 02:30 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: OT- Corona Virus- Where do we go from here? - Monarchblue - 08-26-2020 02:30 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.