ODU Monarchs

Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

OT- Corona Virus- Where do we go from here?
Monarchblue Offline
Heisman

I Root For: ODU
RE: OT- Corona Virus- Where do we go from here?
(08-05-2020 09:46 AM)BigBlueMonarch Wrote:  
(08-05-2020 09:23 AM)Monarchblue Wrote:  
(08-04-2020 03:53 PM)ODUCoach Wrote:  Your Supreme Court case does not giver the government the authority to do whatever it wants in the name of public health. In your opinion, this isn't government overreach, but that is not a legal opinion.

Yes, I'm ok with some government interventions to protect the nursing homes. (Of course, I'm not sure I should trust the government, since the government sent sick patients back into the nursing homes and caused thousands of deaths. Way to go, Cuomo! But, that's another matter, entirely). And, your grocery store bagger, he can make whatever choice he feels is best for him and his family. if he doesn't want to work, he can use the extra time on his hands to take care of his health.

And, yet again, you haven't told me where this ends. My fixation on the government is because you and the folks in your camp are trying to use government force to tell me how to live my life. I'm all for not making this a government thing. Let's let the private sector do it's thing. If businesses don't want to enforce masks, fine. People can choose whether or not to use said business. If they want to operate their restaurant at 100% capacity, the consumers can decide if they are comfortable with that. Since you don't want to be "fixated on government," you're cool with this proposal, right?

This is where the disconnect seems to lie. I have heard numerous people say they should have a right to go into the 7-11 (or whatever store) without being "put at risk" by people that are not wearing masks as a reason that mask policy needs to be enforced by government.

I have news for people. You do not have a right to make all of the people inside 7-11 conform to your preferences, but you do have a right to go to a store that operates the way that you want them to.

The difference between people who gravitate to the left and those who gravitate to the right has been really well defined by this situation. People on the left have no faith in humanity, tend to think people are idiots, and as such, believe that they need to dictate how those people should behave. People on the right have faith in humanity, believe that people make the choices that are best for themselves whether we agree with them or not, and ultimately have an optimistic opinion about humanity, and its ability to sort things out.

Left = People are ignorant and/or ill-intentioned
Right = People are generally good and well-intentioned

People on the right ave faith in people? So is why they wrap them selves in the flag, arm themselves with AR-15 rifles in the name of self-defense, bury their heads to the inequities of the world, and scream don't tread on me. So much for faith in the their fellow man. I could counter

Left - Care about others and the community at large
Right - only care about themselves

Let me take this point by point.

1.Q: So is why they wrap them selves in the flag?
A: I am not sure how patriotism shows a lack of faith in people

2. Q: Arm themselves with AR-15 rifles in the name of self-defense
A: I am not a gun owner, so I am not an authority, but my understanding is that
gun ownership is seen as a check on the Government which is consistent with
the position of The Founders. It is not a sign of disdain for fellow Americans.

3. Q: bury their heads to the inequities of the world
A: I don't believe anyone is burying any heads, but rather people with
conservative values have different beliefs in how inequities can be offset. We
tend to believe that people are inherently good and resourceful, and given
freedom and a government that gets out of the way, people will be unleashed
to reach their potential. This is opposed to a welfare state that believes a
subsets of the population will never get ahead without the government and the
privileged pulling them out of the doldrums at the expense of the middle class.
08-05-2020 12:16 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: OT- Corona Virus- Where do we go from here? - Monarchblue - 08-05-2020 12:16 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 2 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.