ODU Monarchs

Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

OT- Corona Virus- Where do we go from here?
oduengineer Offline
Bench Warmer

I Root For: Old Dominion
RE: OT- Corona Virus- Where do we go from here?
(06-17-2020 11:49 AM)EverRespect Wrote:  
(06-17-2020 11:30 AM)Grommet Wrote:  
(06-17-2020 08:49 AM)Monarchblue Wrote:  
(06-16-2020 06:53 PM)Grommet Wrote:  
(06-16-2020 03:17 PM)oduengineer Wrote:  Pretty unusual conversation here...

The state educates our kids and the teachers are responsible for the education. For the 3 months through mid-June, I would estimate that on average teachers worked at 50% of full-time. My daughter, a speech pathologist, handled her caseload just as before. My wife worked 50% or so, partially trying to help kids who were struggling mentally AND academically. If we start with some hybrid system in September the teachers will have more regulated work requirements and the students will have actual work to complete.

Yes, with teachers in bldgs 4 days and students receiving instruction two days with three days to complete assignment, that would be accurate compared to 4th qtr.

On the flip side, with teachers teaching 4 days a week and students working on their own 3 days a week, there will be even less time for teachers to assist students during the 3 days they are on their own.

Zoom, email, and the telephone are her friends. Both teachers and students should be proactive in addressing any areas of concern.

Good luck with that. Half the students are either in dysfunctional homes unsuited for learning (schools are their sanctuary) or will have nobody at home all day to hold them accountable. Not to mention the hundreds or thousands of dollars of devices and infrastructure to keep connected.

The more I think about it, the more I am starting to understand the notion of privilege. Anyone who thinks internet school and staggered schedules are good ideas that will result in an education... that is a form of privilege. Though we have worked very hard for our life, we are privileged that my wife can stay home with the kids and privileged to be able to afford a $150 Cox bill plus thousands of dollars in computers and other devices to keep everyone connected and privileged to have a son with few enough worries to be interested in academic achievement and to be able to hire a private teacher if that becomes necessary. Thinking about how many people are going to left behind if schools don't completely open. As I read forums and comments on the topic, all I see are upper-middle class women usually with only-children or the over-educated/childless class making comments completely outside of most people's reality. I don't see anyone thinking about this stuff.

The results are likely to make the old paradigm look like an idealistic example of equality.

So true...
06-18-2020 08:19 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: OT- Corona Virus- Where do we go from here? - oduengineer - 06-18-2020 08:19 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.