ODU Monarchs

Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

OT- Corona Virus- Where do we go from here?
EverRespect Offline
Free Kaplony

I Root For: ODU
RE: OT- Corona Virus- Where do we go from here?
(06-16-2020 02:31 PM)Gilesfan Wrote:  
(06-16-2020 02:27 PM)EverRespect Wrote:  
(06-16-2020 02:18 PM)Monarchblue Wrote:  
(06-16-2020 12:58 PM)Gilesfan Wrote:  
(06-16-2020 12:34 PM)Monarchblue Wrote:  That is NOT middle of the road. That is extreme. That is leaving kids basically educating themselves to a large degree for nearly 2 semesters. That is not acceptable. If this were "just one semester" maybe that isn't such a big deal, but it is not just one semester since most of another semester has already been missed. That is the majority of a year that parents can't go to work, or have to pay for a bunch of extra child care. That is more time that we drag the economy down, which probably is the entire reason for the approach that is being sought. Why does America need to wait an additional 6+ months to send their students back to school compared to most other countries, other than we have a national election on the horizon? The reality is that kids have, depending on age, somewhere between less chance and the same chance of dying from COVID as they do the flu. That is the data. We should follow it. The data also tells us that, so far, the nations that have already gone back to school are seeing NO impact from that. The data is also that deaths, hospitalizations, and % positive continue to trend down every week, contrary to sensational reports that "cases continue to rise!" It is time for everyone to peel back the hysteria and look at the damn data so that we can make some common sense decisions that are not dictated by politics.

For people unclear on what European countries are doing:

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2020/j...-of-europe

The primary concern for sending kids back to school should not be the kids but should be the teachers, office staff, janitors, school workers, etc. Those are the people that should be most concerned. (as well as if it is shown the kids actually do spread the virus; who knows at this point).

If you think this is all just because of the election, I can understand why you would be upset.

I believe overall the numbers may be down slightly (huge increases in certain areas) but what are numbers are now should be taken with a grain of salt. Im more concerned with what the numbers will be (or would be) if we opened everything up. What the numbers are while things are still somewhat closed is almost meaningless.

Im not sure how many teachers want to return with this still around. And as a parent, I hope they give us the option to not send our kids back at this point. My kids learned more at home (1on1 vs 1 on 20) than they had during the school year. I could teach the full day lesson plan in 1-2 hours.

Still kind of on the fence but would rather try the scaled down version (maybe alternating half days) for now. That comes at the expense of me having the kids at home all day (or possibly at the office if I decent to move people back in).

Purely anecdotal, but a friend of mine whose wife is a teacher in Chesapeake said 97% of teachers there want to return, but 3% are holding things up.

I would also be much better with alternating half days than going to school 2 days a week, but I imagine that is not feasible with bus schedules and other logistical concerns.

Of course they want to return. The Trump bucks end in about 6 weeks and they aren't going to get paid to do internet school another semester and budgets are about to get crunched. Someone need to just start using that leverage. No more Trump bucks and no more federal money to districts until they open fully.

So if schools are closed and will be done virtually, teachers wont get paid?

Ignoring that, are you suggesting that someone (Trump?) tells teachers to go back to school or don't get paid?

Yes, just like the rest of us. Of course if a district has the money or wants to raise taxes for the money and wants to pay them, they are certainly within their bounds to do so.
(This post was last modified: 06-16-2020 02:50 PM by EverRespect.)
06-16-2020 02:48 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: OT- Corona Virus- Where do we go from here? - EverRespect - 06-16-2020 02:48 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.