ODU Monarchs

Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

OT- Corona Virus- Where do we go from here?
Gilesfan Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: ODU
RE: OT- Corona Virus- Where do we go from here?
(04-27-2020 01:24 PM)ODUCoach Wrote:  If we stay locked down forever, there will always be just a few cases. That makes sense. Are we seriously supposed to live in this current environment until we can guarantee we won't have any more than "just a few" cases?

Approximately, 50k deaths, more than a quarter of which are in one state. A significantly high percentage of deaths nationwide are in LTC facilities. No one here is suggesting we start letting people parade into the nursing homes.

I understand your point of view, I do. But, you are looking at this from a perspective of a one size, fits all approach. No one is arguing that it should be a free-for-all. But, for most of us, even if we get COVID, we'll be fine. What's wrong with an approach based on micro factors (location, health status, etc.)?

I have to admit, Giles, I think in this discussion, your point of view surprises me the most. For someone who is so driven to analyze basketball players by advanced statistics, it seems that your approach to this virus is emotional. I mean, i understand it, it just surprises me a bit.

My view point is not emotionally driven at all, it is statistics driven. The evidence is overwhelming that social distancing is working and that if things were opened up freely, we would have hundred of thousands of deaths on our hands. Thats not something I'm willing to tolerate. I don't see how any could debate that. This virus is lethal in ways this country has never seen before. Its not surprising to me in the least that NY would have the most deaths, it's going to hit that area first and the hardest due to population density. But, without social distancing measures, it would have (and still could) spread to other areas of the country. To use what our current mortality rate, we are at 0.563 mortality rate. To get to 100,000 deaths, all you need is 1,776,199 cases (we are at over a million right now).

Now, others have a higher tolerance for the amount of deaths that are acceptable to you. You might believe that less severe social distancing measures should be taken place. That is your prerogative. While the odds of surviving are fairly high, this virus does not have any rhyme or reason. It's killed young people with no pre-existing conditions (granted, not many). I think people that haven't had loved ones affected by it probably don't take it serious enough. There are people that think "Oh, Im young and don't have a pre-existing condition, I'll be fine. The pre-existing condition thing is kind of silly. Its been a way to minimize the virus. How many of us over 30 have high blood pressure? How many have asthma (though, that may be sparred). How many have pre-diabetes or full diabetes? HIV, Auto-immune disease, etc?

Im not going to say some are don't care about people dying, but I don't understand the thought process of people that pawn off our deaths as "acceptable" because they had some type of condition or they were over the age of 55.

The economy will rebound, people over the course of a million years have recovered from poor economic conditions. You cant rebound from death.
04-27-2020 02:31 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: OT- Corona Virus- Where do we go from here? - Gilesfan - 04-27-2020 02:31 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 2 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.