Pan95 Online
All American

I Root For: Rice/WY
RE: Rice football recruiting - class of 2021
(02-26-2021 03:12 PM)Ourland Wrote:  
(02-26-2021 02:44 PM)elw4796 Wrote:  
(02-26-2021 01:50 PM)Ourland Wrote:  
(02-26-2021 08:57 AM)OptimisticOwl Wrote:  
(02-26-2021 12:23 AM)Ourland Wrote:  Mike Renfro was an amazing receiver for the Cowboys in the 80's. No speed, but he ran very deceptive routes. He was a great "possession" receiver. Wes Weller of Texas Tech and the Patriots also comes to mind. But when I speak of "speed," I'm talking about the kind of guy who can burn a DB on a fly or post route. I'm talking about the guy that can demand attention from the Safety on every play, and who can keep a defense honest. Trammell was as close as we got to that over the past three years and now he's gone.

Since we are going historical, Bullet Bob Hayes.

Quote:Jordan Myers and Brady Rozner are both big, tall, receivers. We need someone fast who can complement that.

fine, if we have him or can get him. Wasn't Knipe supposed to be a speed guy? If not, we have to make do with guys who can get open and catch the ball. That is the job of the coaching staff.

Yeah, it's always the coaches' job to develop the talent on hand, but after three years of supposed "stellar" recruiting, I have a hard time believing that there aren't speedsters on this team at WR. If there aren't, these coaches have been ignoring an obvious need. There must be someone to take Trammell's place.

From a usage point of view, I'd think that Bailey is the guy that the staff is going to rely on to replace Trammell's targets. Then Rozner is obviously your bigger target. Pitre and Mason are your relative speedsters. And then you hope Knipe and Patterson take a step forward. Or that one or two of the true freshmen come in immediately ready to contribute.

I feel like there's definitely something to work with there, even without Trammell. I'm just worried that we won't get the best out of guys because the offense is so run heavy. I've always thought that there has to be a psychological effect of playing on a team that doesn't throw the ball much. Even if you want to be the hardest worker in the gym, it has to affect you to some degree knowing that all of your hard work is for a handful of targets every week (if that many).

Good post. I don't know much about the graduate transfer from New Mexico, but hopefully he can make a contribution as well. I forgot about Pitre.

For a run heavy offense, we have a high number of receivers. This has been mentioned before, but the 2011-2013 offense under John Regan was a heavy run oriented offense, yet we did a good job of having a complimentary and effective passing attack.
02-26-2021 04:59 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: Rice football recruiting - class of 2021 - Pan95 - 02-26-2021 04:59 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 2 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.