Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Could We Have A Year Without College Football?
JRsec Offline
Super Moderator

I Root For: SEC
RE: Could We Have A Year Without College Football?
(02-28-2020 04:26 PM)Gamecock Wrote:  
(02-28-2020 12:04 PM)TripleA Wrote:  
(02-27-2020 03:29 PM)Gamecock Wrote:  Yes, it's inconceivable to me. We played college football two weeks after a major terrorist attack and played throughout WWII when most college aged men were in the army. CFB will go on

Neither of those situations is remotely the same thing.

There was no disruption during the 1919 Influenza epidemic either

Like I said, I cannot conceive it halting a CFB season.

No disruptions? It essentially ended WWI because it decimated the Armies on both sides and the Kaiser couldn't see the point in continuing.

I actually knew people who survived it. There were plenty of disruptions in the cities, but it was to bury the dead. They didn't have the understanding of the transmission, incubation, and pathology to know enough to stop.

In rural areas people simply tried to stay away from the cities, but they would eventually need supplies, or perhaps their town was on a rail line and people on the train would get off to stretch their legs and get a bite to eat off of the train and would spread it that way.

I visited one little country church cemetery while getting ready for the funeral of a friend and walked through it because there were confederate graves in it (the headstones are unique) and came across the area where about 18 people all died within a a few months of each other in 1918 including half a dozen infants and children. When I questioned some of the locals about it they said they had traveled into town to buy seeds and supplies and clothes and had brought it back to their community and how it had gone through their church.

It's real enough and just because they didn't really know enough about the transmission back then to take severe measures to reduce the mortality is hardly an endorsement for similar conduct today.

Let me ask you a serious question. If somebody handed you a soft drink and told you there was a 1 in 50 chance that if you drank it you would die, would you drink it? Only if you were an idiot.

So if you go into a crowd sufficiently large enough to virtually guarantee that it would spread a potentially lethal disease for which there is no vaccine and the only survivability would depend upon the strength of you own immune system,and that merely catching it whether you lived or died meant that the small children in your family and your elderly parents or grandparents might die from exposure to you, would you be selfish and thoughtless enough to risk not only your own health but the health of those you loved?

I sure hope not. And 2% is the lowest estimate on mortality for this outbreak, and it is reaching pandemic status not because of the number of cases currently but because of the rapidity with which it has spread. It's serious enough.

I don't get people sometimes. You all get your panties in a wad over a hurricane or lightening (which has practically a nil mortality rate in a modern stadium because you are in a faraday cage due to construction), and so you support calling off or postponing games because of that, but nobody grasps the reality that the potential for death and economic devastation from a pandemic dwarfs that of the aforementioned.

Unglaublich!
(This post was last modified: 02-28-2020 05:31 PM by JRsec.)
02-28-2020 04:58 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: Could We Have A Year Without College Football? - JRsec - 02-28-2020 04:58 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.