Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

A Sober Look at the Potential Realignment of 2024
XLance Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Carolina
RE: A Sober Look at the Potential Realignment of 2024
(12-24-2020 06:38 PM)Statefan Wrote:  
(12-24-2020 11:04 AM)texoma Wrote:  
(12-24-2020 10:19 AM)Fighting Muskie Wrote:  I don’t buy Texas to the ACC. There’s no chemistry there and Texas wouldn’t have a controlling voting block.

FB Indy/Big 12 Olympic Sports makes more sense.

I agree. Only an ACC fan would think, actually hope, that Texas would join the ACC. Not gonna happen.

I can assure you that most of the league does not want Texas. Texas is an accountant's dream addition, but the revenue driven competition within the conference would explode. Look at the non-sports endowment of a University and that will tell you what they can raise if they want to for sports. Notice I said "want to". Plus Lance is enamored with Baylor but I can assure you that Duke, UNC, UVa, and probably Pitt and Syracuse are not because of academic freedom issues. The faculty at those schools would roast the ptb over Baylor.

In the P-5 you have the following overall endowments:

Texas 38 Billion
Stanford 27 B
TAMU 14 B
Michigan 12 B
NW 11 B
Cal 11 B
ND 8.5 B
Duke 8 B
UVa 6.5 B
USC 6 B
Ohio State 4.7 B
PSU 4.2 B
Pitt 3.7 B
Minn 3.6 B
UNC 3 B

Ignoring the past records, seating capacity of stadiums, tv money, etc., Texas' money and ability to raise it is an order of magnitude greater than the private/quasi private ACC schools. It's destabalizing. It was destablizing in the SWC and now in the B12. It would be no different in the ACC.

With ordinary circumstances, I would agree with you 100%, however, we are in uncharted waters and bending to the will of an even greedier entity than Texas (ESPN). Besides, It should only be a temporary association (until 2036-37).
Baylor would be another ESPN decision. The Bears consistently have better TV ratings than the majority of the Big 12 (sans Texas and Oklahoma).

These moves protect some of ESPN's most valuable collegiate assets in several ways.
First it provides a temporary home for Texas, which is like a wounded animal, in need of a place to rehabilitate before being released back into the wild. Through a series of bad hires, Texas' football program needs to find it's footing and rebuild without having to endure the stiffer competition they would find if ESPN moved them into the SEC now. The ACC can provide that haven.
Second, Texas and Baylor would do wonders for ACCN revenues, and vault the ACC into a stable income position.
This protects ACC basketball, which is in itself an marketing entity just like SEC football for ESPN.

BTW, I think you are a little off on your endowment figures.
UVa is closer to $9.5B and Carolina is a little over $5B
12-26-2020 09:28 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: A Sober Look at the Potential Realignment of 2024 - XLance - 12-26-2020 09:28 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.