JRsec Offline
Super Moderator

I Root For: SEC
RE: A Sober Look at the Potential Realignment of 2024
(05-05-2020 01:22 PM)texoma Wrote:  
(05-05-2020 11:04 AM)JRsec Wrote:  
(05-05-2020 10:49 AM)texoma Wrote:  
(05-04-2020 07:15 PM)JRsec Wrote:  
(05-04-2020 06:56 PM)texoma Wrote:  Texas business model? I have lived in Texas many years and have known many UT alums, fans and former football players and I have never heard or seen any of them, or any of the Texas media ever mention the Texas business model.

The only place I have ever seen it, is own this board by posters trying to justify their argument for Texas joining the SEC or by other posters that have read it on this board and just repeated it.

Texas will never, put all of their other sports teams on an island where they have to travel to the East Coast for every away conference game. They will not accept a Notre Dame type deal with the ACC. Texas does not settle for anything. They don't have to.

You don't talk about business models. You run them. Texas has one as does Florida and they were both predicated on the same concept, play as many games in state (home and away) as is possible and profitable).

For years Florida's buy games were all in state and two of what we now call power games were between Miami and Florida State. So with 4 SEC home games, 4 games not affiliated with the conference with 2 of them being against small schools (one at the season opener and the other before the Georgia game) and a rotation of Miami and FSU home and away the gators managed to play 8 of their 12 regular season games within the state of Florida.

Texas does the same thing. They get great travel crowds and reach alumni at a farther distance from Austin but within the state by playing Texas Tech, T.C.U. and Baylor. When they had A&M annually and Oklahoma in DFW then with their 2 buy games they too maintained at least 8 games annually on Texas soil. This also keeps revenue and taxes in state. It's just smart business.

This business model spurs donations for away tickets in state, guarantees a solid Longhorn travel crowd and has been the center piece of their athletic department's strategy that keeps them at or near the top in revenue earnings annually.

It is why Texas does what Texas wishes and it is real whether you've heard of it or not. It's not what beat writers talk about because that doesn't sell papers or get blog hits. But it is what all highly successful college athletic departments develop. Notre Dame for instance doesn't build its model on playing 8 games in Indiana, but to the contrary wants exposure nationally. They like to play a game in the Northeast, California, the Deep South, and float one around so they reach alumni everywhere, but also get their name before the entire nation each year.

So while I agree with your sentiment that Texas will do what Texas wishes to do, there is most definitely a pattern (or model) for how they conduct their business and they preserve it, and in part they preserve it by not making it a topic of conversation. When Florida's model was made a topic of national discussion and they had to defend what they had done for years they eventually caved in traveling mostly due to PR. The fact you haven't heard of it is part of its success.

JR, I thought you would respond to my post. I have great respect for your knowledge about the SEC and the TV networks. However, I strongly disagree with what you call the Texas business model, or Texas wanting to play as many games as possible in the State.

Texas wanted to abandon the SWC, because they did not like playing the private schools. Darrell Royal talked about it. They played too many games in Texas. If they won the SWC championship, they were relegated to the old Cotton Bowl in Dallas and it often did not sell out. I remember Jim Brock, the Cotton Bowl hoss, saying if the Cotton Bowl did not get Nebraska or Notre Dame they were in trouble attendance wise. Surprisingly, only A&M playing as the host team guaranteed a sell out.

OU stole a lot of Texas best recruits, because they said come to OU and play Nebraska and Colorado etc, and go to the Orange Bowl in Miami. Go to Texas and never leave the State, except for Arkansas.

So Texas was ready to join the Big 8 with only A&M. Then Texas politics intervened and forced Baylor and Texas Tech to go with them. So TCU, SMU, Rice and Houston were no longer on their schedule and Texas got its wish, other than Baylor and Tech being forced to go with them. So where was the "Texas business model".

Before Texas joined the Big8, I personally attended Texas games at TCU, Baylor and SMU and the games were not sold out, often far from it.

You talk a lot about Florida and Notre Dame. That has nothing to do with Texas.

As I said, i respect your knowledge and enjoy reading your posts, but I think you are wrong about the Texas business model of playing as many games as possible in the State.

What Texas says and what Texas does have always been two different things. And it has remained a constant source of apprehension for those schools in their own conference who realize this to be true.

Well that is a different concern and I will leave that up to Texas fans or other conference team fans for any comment.

What I'm telling you is don't look at what Texas says, look at what Texas does. There is a clear distinct pattern to their scheduling, always has been and always will be. It is what makes them the most money and they aren't changing it and don't want it to be scrutinized. Texas A.D.'s, perhaps personified in Dodds, are slight of hand artists. What they talk about publicly is usually misdirection from what they are actually doing. They leveraged the PAC for a better deal with ESPN and got the LHN and 15 million a year to keep the damned status quo.

But you guys believe what you wish. The difference between judgment and discernment is applicable here and to all things in life. When you form an opinion based upon what you hear that's judgment.
When you form an opinion based upon what you observe that's discernment. You hear all kinds of things and some of the biggest lies form the most widely held opinions. This is the fallacy of vox populi.

When you know what somebody's motives are because you observe what they do, see it manifested over and over again yielding the same results, you know what they are after, no matter what they have to say about it.

When the sheeple of this country learn the difference between judgment and discernment they will quit being sheeple and will again be free.

I've posted more than I cared to in this thread but the level of stupid here, posing as hearsay and anecdotal evidence is through the roof. Study Texas's scheduling history and you learn two things. They've never really cared about academic peers when it comes to sports. And, they keep things as local as possible. Those are the only facts worth consideration because they quantifiable and verifiable. The rest is Horn PR.
(This post was last modified: 05-06-2020 01:07 PM by JRsec.)
05-06-2020 01:04 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: A Sober Look at the Potential Realignment of 2024 - JRsec - 05-06-2020 01:04 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.