Nukesquad Offline
1st String

I Root For: ODU
RE: Men's Basketball Recruiting: 2021
(08-28-2020 06:02 PM)bluelight Wrote:  
(08-24-2020 09:31 AM)Gilesfan Wrote:  
(08-24-2020 09:27 AM)ODUDon Wrote:  
(08-23-2020 07:30 PM)Mr.BigBlue Wrote:  
(08-23-2020 08:39 AM)Monarchblue Wrote:  This cat averaged 5 points, 2 boards, and shot 43% from the freethrow line. What exactly am I missing here?

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

Finding a big that is high level scorer and an all around talent...will not happen at our level. So...this kid has the basics and looks like he can mature physically to become a decent player. That is what I look at not his production at a JUCO level that is all about guards and getting up and down the court. Kid is mobile and can play above the rim. I will take it.

If UR (Golden) and WKU (Basset) can recruit great big men, we certainly should be able to as well. Even W&M had a formidable front line last year. I give JJ an F when it comes to recruiting (or keeping) decent big men. The issue is not “our level” in my view.

Bassey is a different animal and we aren't recruiting at WKYs level while $tansbury is there.

Grant Golden was a not a great recruit. He had offers from Richmond, American, Furman, Holy Cross, JMU. He turned into a great big man. FWIW, if we signed him back in 2016, people would be saying bad things about our recruiting.

FWIW, here are our big men:

Arledge
Stith
Porter
Ekizpe
Dickens

Really not a bad group despite the highest ranking guy (Dickens) not working out.

ALL TRANSFERS, EXCEPT ONE GOOD RECRUITING JJ

Not disagreeing with your point on who was considered a transfer or not, but everyone has to face the fact of the current recruiting landscape. A kid going thru the "traditional" 4-years at a school is now in the minority. Even once someone spends a year or 2 at a school, that respective coaching staff has to continue to recruit him because there are always "people" in their ear. Even though schools/coaches technically are not permitted to tamper with someone else's players, it happens almost EVERYWAY.

An example for ODU, would be 1 of the newest additions, Mekhi Long. ODU coaches recruited him throughout HS, and he eventually chose Rhode Island. After a year, he realizes that his choice of URI wasn't a good fit for him. His continued relationship with ODU coaching staff permitted him an avenue to tranfer.

From the list of the kids you provided, I would like to touch on Porter & Dickens. One spent a year for a coach he liked, then the coach gets fired and he actively was searching for a school. The other was a highly "rated" recruit, who found after a year that he was NEVER going to get any playing time, so he also was actively searching for a school. Is it really disappointing that the ODU coaching staff chose to go after a 6'11" & 7+' who were wanting to find a school? I would absolutely hope that the ODU staff would continue to seek these opportunities because these examples will continue to increase.
08-29-2020 01:01 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: Men's Basketball Recruiting: 2021 - Nukesquad - 08-29-2020 01:01 PM
Men's Basketball Recruiting: 2021 - bit_9 - 03-22-2021, 09:47 PM
Men's Basketball Recruiting: 2021 - bit_9 - 04-25-2021, 09:09 AM
Men's Basketball Recruiting: 2021 - bit_9 - 06-05-2021, 10:33 PM
Men's Basketball Recruiting: 2021 - bit_9 - 07-18-2021, 08:40 AM
Men's Basketball Recruiting: 2020 - bit_9 - 10-20-2019, 06:26 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.