Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Increased Commitment to MBB (or Rising Standards)
Bookmark and Share
Zorch Offline
All American

I Root For: W&M
RE: Increased Commitment to MBB (or Rising Standards)
(10-11-2019 03:40 PM)tribeinexile Wrote:  https://www.dailypress.com/news/dp-xpm-2...story.html

.....I know there are other posters who believe we have underachieved or that our success lately has been the result of our natural competitive advantages in the CAA.

Good reminders, thanks! Your second article (the one immediately above) had this cogent paragraph:

"My first year, I thought we had to get better athletes to compete," Shaver said. "We still need good athletes, but we might be more inclined now to take a highly skilled athlete who's a good shooter and has some smarts, but who may not be the most athletic kid, over somebody who's strictly an athlete. Because of the way we've chosen to play, we have more of an idea of the kinds of players we want to recruit, so we can target certain kids."

Shaver said that in year 4. I believe that he had mastered that approach by years 11-16. That is how W&M was able to recruit great players like Marcus Thornton and Nathan Knight, and average athletes who played great in his system, like Terry Tarpey. Oh well, that is all gone now.

Serious question, no snark involved: What are the "natural competitive advantages" that we enjoy in the CAA"? I am aware of many disadvantages but the only competitive (recruiting) advantage that I can even remotely think of is the academic reputation of W&M --- and, of course, the stringent academic requirements at W&M are usually viewed as a disadvantage.
10-11-2019 06:28 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: Increased Commitment to MBB (or Rising Standards) - Zorch - 10-11-2019 06:28 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.