CSNbbs
Increased Commitment to MBB (or Rising Standards) - Printable Version

+- CSNbbs (https://csnbbs.com)
+-- Forum: Active Boards (/forum-769.html)
+--- Forum: CAAbbs (/forum-676.html)
+---- Forum: CAA Conference Talk (/forum-677.html)
+----- Forum: William & Mary (/forum-691.html)
+----- Thread: Increased Commitment to MBB (or Rising Standards) (/thread-873230.html)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6

Increased Commitment to MBB (or Rising Standards) - tribeinexile - 03-21-2019 02:21 PM

Probably an exercise in futility but I thought I would give this a try.

Can we track the concrete steps taken by the College to increase commitment to, and support of, the MBB program? A lot of the to and fro on these threads in the past week has been disagreement over the direction of the program. Some feel that the program is progressing because of Shaver. Others feel that Shaver has not taken advantage of the increased opportunities (or perhaps would not be able to capitalize on the increased commitments to come by the College).

My rule of thumb is that any support that we provide MBB must be compared to the 4 dominant basketball programs in the CAA: NE, Hofstra, UNCW & CofC.I

I tried to come up with a few nuggets to start the list but I couldn't so:

1) ...

RE: Increased Commitment to MBB (or Rising Standards) - wmmii - 03-21-2019 02:27 PM

The College would seem intent on either building a new arena or rehab of Kaplan based on the survey and meetings from last fall. Do not know the progress of this but would assume the College hired a consulting firm to do this with the plan to act in some fashion.

RE: Increased Commitment to MBB (or Rising Standards) - Blow Gym rat - 03-21-2019 02:29 PM

Ok, that’s a start.

1). Took a survey and had meetings/hired consultants

RE: Increased Commitment to MBB (or Rising Standards) - Blow Gym rat - 03-21-2019 02:31 PM

2) Tony’s salary increased 4% per year as per his contract. Possible (probable) that other staff got similar increases annually.

RE: Increased Commitment to MBB (or Rising Standards) - Blow Gym rat - 03-21-2019 02:32 PM

3) New paint job on the Kap playing floor.

RE: Increased Commitment to MBB (or Rising Standards) - Blow Gym rat - 03-21-2019 02:35 PM

4) Other Kap improvements - I think I recall a locker room upgrade a few years back. Painted the arena ceiling I think. Was there ever a new scoreboard? What else?

RE: Increased Commitment to MBB (or Rising Standards) - Blow Gym rat - 03-21-2019 02:38 PM

5). Better OOC schedule this past season, regardless of motive/how it turned out.

RE: Increased Commitment to MBB (or Rising Standards) - tribeintexas - 03-21-2019 02:41 PM

We are hoping for a new multi-sport practice facility according to For the Bold campaign (price tag of $20M).

RE: Increased Commitment to MBB (or Rising Standards) - Blow Gym rat - 03-21-2019 02:41 PM

6) Based on subjective experience, I’d say TribeAthleticsTV has been gradually upgraded — although that may count as department-wide and not MBB specific.

RE: Increased Commitment to MBB (or Rising Standards) - Blow Gym rat - 03-21-2019 02:42 PM

7) Enhanced hopes.

I think I’m running out, but many of you are down there more often than I am. I’m sure you can chime in with more.

RE: Increased Commitment to MBB (or Rising Standards) - Blow Gym rat - 03-21-2019 02:50 PM

8). Overseas trip (fan-funded, at least in part) and participation in the Gotham Classic (this may duplicate better OOC schedule, above).

RE: Increased Commitment to MBB (or Rising Standards) - Blow Gym rat - 03-21-2019 02:56 PM

9) Upgraded marketing/enthusiasm-building, e.g. the Gold Rush Game (the Got Ribes’ idea IIRC) and outreach to students by Tony and the team. I seem to recall that someone in the athletic department was helpful/proactive with these sorts of ideas. Military Day seems to have been a good idea - not sure how long it’s been happening.

RE: Increased Commitment to MBB (or Rising Standards) - Blow Gym rat - 03-21-2019 03:05 PM

10). New Athletic Director (I know, I know, but I remember the complaints about Driscoll)

RE: Increased Commitment to MBB (or Rising Standards) - Blow Gym rat - 03-21-2019 04:20 PM

OK, I’ve run out — somebody help me here.

To be true to the original post, we need “concrete steps.”

Increased Commitment to MBB (or Rising Standards) - WM_Destro - 03-21-2019 05:20 PM

11) The funding of COA stipends for men’s and women’s basketball teams

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RE: Increased Commitment to MBB (or Rising Standards) - Blow Gym rat - 03-21-2019 05:24 PM

Good add - that’s a big one

RE: Increased Commitment to MBB (or Rising Standards) - tribeinexile - 03-21-2019 05:53 PM

So far, I have:

1). COA (I had totally forgotten that one.).
2). Better OOC

Number 1 makes us equal to most of the schools in the conference. Number 2 might or might not be a commitment. Will the College allow MBB to do 2 or 3 or 4 to 1 deals to get big name names to the Kap or do we still need to take the money to balance the MBB budget?

We do have a newly painted floor at Kaplan but we didn’t replace the malfunctioning scoreboard.

I expect the new coach will get paid much more than Shaver. If he gets Earl Grant or Joe Mihalich money that would make us competitive with the top schools in the CAA but not ahead.

A lot of the other items are hoped for or have been generated by the basketball team so they don’t demonstrate a commitment yet.

Again, I am looking to catalog commitments by the College to MBB that would allow us to expect improvement in the program.

RE: Increased Commitment to MBB (or Rising Standards) - tribeinexile - 04-04-2019 10:48 PM

Bumping this up even if no one cares but me.

Some of us are not privy to the inner workings of the Athetic Department. And while we have strong opinions about the coaching change we are trying to hold everything in abeyance until things work themselves out.

It would be very helpful to understand if the College is making an increased commitment to MBB or believes that a coaching change is sufficient for success.

The level of vitriol and snark - from both camps - is becoming very difficult to wade through.

I come back here often because I have important decisions to make about seasons tickets, travel plans for the regular season and CAAT and future donations.

I have short-term concerns (what kind of team will we have next year) and long-term concerns (will we finally be committed to MBB). This message board is the only place I can turn for info and, hopefully, for others who understand how important this program is to me.

So, without trying to win an argument or settle scores, I started this thread to address my long-term concerns about the commitment to MBB. I would love to see the observations others make regarding that commitment.

I think the folks on this board can draw their own conclusions about the wisdom of actions taken recently if we can glean the facts. I, for one, am often wrong but never in doubt.

So far my list is

1). COA
2). OOC schedule (maybe)
3). Buyout dollars (maybe)

Looking for tangible commitments in terms of $$$ for salaries, recruiting, scheduling, facilities.

RE: Increased Commitment to MBB (or Rising Standards) - wmmii - 04-05-2019 08:28 AM

(04-04-2019 10:48 PM)tribeinexile Wrote:  So far my list is

1). COA
2). OOC schedule (maybe)
3). Buyout dollars (maybe)

Looking for tangible commitments in terms of $$$ for salaries, recruiting, scheduling, facilities.

The College would seem intent on either building a new arena or rehab of Kaplan based on the survey and meetings from last fall. Do not know the progress of this but would assume the College spent $$ to hire a consulting firm to do a study with the intent to act in some fashion.

RE: Increased Commitment to MBB (or Rising Standards) - Tribe32 - 04-05-2019 08:30 AM

The survey was a while back. My guess is that there will be some sort of announcement tying the survey results to a plan of action. I would expect it to come out fairly soon. This type of study generally lasts 3-6 months.