Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

AAC and ESPN Exclusive Negotiating Window?
quo vadis Offline
Legend

I Root For: USF/Georgetown
RE: AAC and ESPN Exclusive Negotiating Window?
(03-02-2019 01:01 PM)usffan Wrote:  
(03-02-2019 12:49 PM)quo vadis Wrote:  
(03-02-2019 12:32 PM)usffan Wrote:  
(03-02-2019 12:19 PM)quo vadis Wrote:  
(03-02-2019 12:13 PM)usffan Wrote:  Wait, details about this leaked out of Memphis? Here, let me show you my shocked face...

03-lmfao

The Memphis folks do seem to have big mouths. Not that I mind, i'd rather get the dirt sooner than later. 07-coffee3

It's funny when it doesn't impact you or something you care about. It sucks to be aligned with an institution that is incapable of showing any restraint or discretion. Like I said before, nothing would be better to be playing poker (or negotiating) against a member of that administration. It's like the AAC invited Kristen Wiig to the damned party...

I'm no fan of Memphis, but I don't really see any harm done by what they've said about the new deal. IMO, they haven't spilled any kind of beans that would be harmful in negotiations or threaten the cancellation of the deal.

So I don't really have a problem with it.

Do we know that everything is signed? No. Do we know if it includes Tier 2 or Tier 3 rights? No. Do we know if it means more or less content on ESPN+? No. Is there a chance that things could blow up and thus somebody walk away from it? Yes. So is there anything to be gained by publicizing this ahead of time? NO!!!! It's almost certain that it would be better to keep those details to yourself until/unless you're required to do so, but the freaking Memphis administration is reliably willing to be the first to spill the details, like Perez freaking Hilton.

Let's throw some ridiculous scenario out there. Let's say that Texas was contemplating walking away from the Big XII in 2023 so they could be independent in football, and they approached the AAC with an offer similar to what Notre Dame has with the ACC, allowing them to park their sports in the American, but that it had to be kept secret until all of the negotiations could be completed. I would be willing to bet just about anything that the Memphis press would know about it before the Texas president and AD even reached their plane from the meeting. THIS is my beef with them, they're incapable of conducting business in any kind of confidence!

USFFan

Alright, maybe going forward in 2023 and beyond there is a chance that Memphis loose lips could sink money-laden ships.

But right now? What details have they talked about? They've just said a deal with ESPN will be announced next week and they are happy with it. I don't see how that could cause ESPN to balk, etc.
(This post was last modified: 03-02-2019 01:06 PM by quo vadis.)
03-02-2019 01:05 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: AAC and ESPN Exclusive Negotiating Window? - quo vadis - 03-02-2019 01:05 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.