Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

AAC and ESPN Exclusive Negotiating Window?
bullet Offline
Legend

I Root For: Texas, UK, UGA
RE: AAC and ESPN Exclusive Negotiating Window?
(02-23-2019 01:27 PM)Attackcoog Wrote:  
(02-23-2019 01:06 PM)johnbragg Wrote:  
(02-23-2019 12:15 PM)quo vadis Wrote:  IIRC, we (the Big East) were offered between $12m and $13m per school in April 2011, but maybe this new deal will reach those heights too, we just have to wait and see.

Depends which journalists' partial description of the deal you believed (some articles tossed out a total value, some tossed out an estimated value per all-sports school) and extrapolated into a full picture of the contract, and on what the football-basketball split would have ended up being (I don't know that any agreement was ever reached there. There are indicators like the 70-30 written into the Boise STate contract, but not proof.).

Since a lot of journalists were less realignment-savvy than this board is (they get paid primarily to engage your attention, not to be right, which is why Brett McMurphy is working for STADIUM now) it's hard to take their throwaway number in the middle of an article about something else and get a good picture of exactly what was on the table in April 2011. But it was definitely a lot less than the PAC got a week or two later.

Right. I was under the impression that the result would have been around 10 million for all-sports members--but it really depended on how the basketball side was allocated. With separate TV deals, the Big East basketball actually made more than football--so a 50-50 split might have been the result rather than a 30-70 split oriented toward football. For instance, this article has it in the neighborhood of 11 million. The numbers were all over the place.

https://www.sportsbusinessdaily.com/Dail...-East.aspx

Best I can tell, the deal was for 155 million a year. If the AAC got 10 million a year---thats 120 million a year. So, the two deals are in the ballpark. Looking at it more closely, the 2011 deal was probably better because it was more money and there were fewer "all sports" member in 2011. Yes, there were far more basketball only members in 2011---so that probably moved the two deal closer together. Still, I suspect 2011 all sports Big East teams would have probably made out better under the rejected ESPN proposal than a 10 million per team AAC deal (which is probably an overly optimistic best case scenario). The real number is probably between 6 and 8 million a team---which is less than the 2011 rejected proposal---but far more than the old Big East teams ever made from media back in the day.

I heard both $130 million and $150 million. At the time, there was one article that made it out to be $13 million/football school. 9 schools(TCU had been invited at that point) @ approx. $13+8 schools @ approx. 4 for $150 million total.

And you look at that lineup:
TCU
Pitt
Syracuse
Louisville
Rutgers
UConn
Cincinnati
USF
Temple (I think they were the 9th)

Its not that much better than the AAC.
02-23-2019 06:24 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: AAC and ESPN Exclusive Negotiating Window? - bullet - 02-23-2019 06:24 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.