Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

AAC and ESPN Exclusive Negotiating Window?
johnbragg Online
Five Minute Google Expert

I Root For: St Johns
RE: AAC and ESPN Exclusive Negotiating Window?
(02-21-2019 05:58 PM)Shannon Panther Wrote:  Name me any conference that would accept a full member opting out of the conference in a sport.

Providence women's volleyball was in the Big East until 2001, was in America East from 2010-13, and rejoined the Big East in 2014. (I think the sport was cut in 2001 and revived in 2010).

The old Big East didn't care even a little bit that Providence wanted to restart WVB in a lower-profile conference and build up. America East didn't mind being used as a waystation. And it was women's volleyball, so nobody cared terribly much anyway.

This doesn't make "UConn to Big East, keep football in the AAC" a good idea, or something the AAC would agree to. It's just not illegal under NCAA rules.

https://friars.com/news/2014/4/7/Women_s...rence.aspx

(I remember this because when the C7 was planning to split with about 6 months prep time, and weren't sure we'd have the 3 new members we were sketching out what sports a C-7 conference would have 6 schools playing, and whether we needed to work out a deal with the Aresco LEague to affiliate in each other's sports. That's when I noticed that Providence had a sport in the America East conference.)
(This post was last modified: 02-21-2019 09:03 PM by johnbragg.)
02-21-2019 09:00 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: AAC and ESPN Exclusive Negotiating Window? - johnbragg - 02-21-2019 09:00 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.