Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

AAC and ESPN Exclusive Negotiating Window?
quo vadis Offline
Legend

I Root For: USF/Georgetown
RE: AAC and ESPN Exclusive Negotiating Window?
(02-21-2019 12:31 AM)arkstfan Wrote:  
(02-18-2019 09:30 AM)quo vadis Wrote:  
(02-17-2019 11:23 PM)Attackcoog Wrote:  
(02-17-2019 10:45 PM)quo vadis Wrote:  
(02-17-2019 05:27 PM)Attackcoog Wrote:  I dont know. Facebook basically owns a website. Its a popular website--but its already largely abandoned by its early adopters (young kids) for Twitter and Instagram. Yahoo and MySpace are lessons in how quickly a website based giant can fall apart. Disney and networks like NBC or CBS have a crap load of owned content thats valuable regardless of the platform its transmitted from. I'd suggest that those older content driven companies are bit more solid right now....though I guess that can change as well.

FWIW, Facebook bought Instagram for $1 Billion in 2012. It is estimated to be worth $100 Billion today.

I did not know that. Instagram---and twitter---is where my young adult kids spend all their phone screen time. Id think thats a property with some room to grow. Still---your talking about a flightly clientele thats always looking for the next trendy thing....so who knows.

That's true, but the concept is likely to endure. E.g., Myspace was knocked out - by Facebook, but the concept - social media - endured and got bigger.

IMO, ignoring firms like Facebook, that have among the largest market caps in the world - is short term thinking.

Part of the attachment to traditional media among G5 can probably be explained by striver status psychology. E.g., in academia, some professors insist on being called "doctor" or "professor" by their students and even colleagues (or are silently irked when they aren't), while others don't care what they are called. Usually, the former are either (a) brand-new PhDs who just earned their degree and are trying to build their reputation, or (b) those who got their degree from a non-prestigious school. The ones who don't are usually senior types with a long-established research record and status in their fields.

IOW's, those who are secure in their status don't require the formal acknowledgment of it, while those who are insecure about it do. Bowing to such insecurities might cause G5 to miss important opportunities.

That's what we in the legal profession call a load of bull. It rattles around yet makes no sense.

Facebook pulled out of streaming boxes and is just now coming back. Hasn't even been on Apple TV for a year and they aren't putting any significant effort into pushing it. They bury the fact they even support it.

Actually, it makes a lot of sense. There is a lot of research that shows that insecurity about status tends to be associated with a preoccupation with status recognition.

As for Facebook, we know they are in the infant stages of broadcasting live sports. But if they were actually to make a conference an offer for media rights, that would presumably be a manifestation of a commitment on their part to upgrade their capabilities, etc.

If I was a conference commissioner, I would definitely be happy to meet with anyone from Facebook who wanted to discuss buying some aspect of our media rights.
02-21-2019 10:18 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: AAC and ESPN Exclusive Negotiating Window? - quo vadis - 02-21-2019 10:18 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.