Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Thread Closed 
Why do all these racists keep joining the GOP?
tanqtonic Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: rice
RE: Why do all these racists keep joining the GOP?
(07-31-2019 09:38 AM)Frizzy Owl Wrote:  
(07-31-2019 09:30 AM)Owl 69/70/75 Wrote:  
(07-31-2019 09:08 AM)Rice93 Wrote:  
(07-31-2019 08:49 AM)Owl 69/70/75 Wrote:  
(07-31-2019 08:26 AM)Rice93 Wrote:  It seems pertinent to multiple discussions that have taken place here that the ideological Jesus of the modern GOP felt this way.
"Felt that way"? Felt what way? And based upon what? A single comment made in the context of a discussion of a different issue, in a somewhat heated state because of disgust over the context of that discussion? Does LBJ's use of the n-word in multiple conversations more closely on point indicate that he was?
Glad you have the power to impute motives so freely from one comment.
I do not believe that Ronald Reagan was a racist. I do not believe that this quote establishes that he was. His body of work suggests that he was not.
Sorry... should I have said "felt that way at the time of the phone call?" Did you listen to the audio? Not great, Bob.
I've never thought that Reagan was racist (I didn't think that his attitudes towards homosexuals was too great). This audio was quite troubling IMO.

I repeat, "Felt that way"? Felt what way? And based upon what?

You are imputing a lot from one stray comment. What he felt was pissed off that the vote had gone that way, and more specifically pissed off by the reaction of certain delegations to the vote. Have you ever played on a football team that lost a game and afterwards somebody said something like, "Damn, I hate losing to those bastards," or, "Damn, I hate watching those bastards celebrate"? Does that mean that the speaker literally believes that members of that other team were illegitimate children? I doubt it. Yes, I listened to the recording of the phone call, and that's how it struck me.

I look to the body of work, not a comment taken out of context, particularly before alleging anything as heinous as racism. Reagan's body of work says that he was not a racist. Al Sharpton's body of work says that he is.

I don't think Reagan was racist either, but what does it matter today if he was? A dead president from decades ago... does it matter if Kennedy was racist? LBJ? Eisenhower?

Going back to my original question of 'so, whats the point?'

And we will have 93 amble into the candy store and engorge himself with a fat fistful of smug 'I just thought it was interesting for no particular reason' pile of bull****.

All while avoiding anything but Reagan.
07-31-2019 10:07 AM
Find all posts by this user
Thread Closed 

Messages In This Thread
RE: Why do all these racists keep joining the GOP? - tanqtonic - 07-31-2019 10:07 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.