ODU Monarchs

Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

OT- Hurricane Florence Discussion
ODUCoach Offline
Heisman

I Root For: ODU
RE: OT- Hurricane Florence Discussion
Update from Jon Cash (formerly of WAVY):

Quote:Hurricane Florence update. I have only bad news and no good news at all. The hurricane is currently strengthening and will continue to strengthen for the upcoming days. Every one of our hurricane models that are respectable among us meteorologists is showing this as a category four hurricane or even a five as it approaches the coast. I have never seen all of these hurricane models agree on such a huge increase in hurricane speed and size in all my years as a meteorologist. In short, every variable that we would look for to predict if a hurricane will blow up into a monster is being met with this particular storm. There is now a 95% chance this storm will directly strike somewhere along the Carolina coast between Charleston South Carolina and Nags Head North Carolina. The current prediction is that it will come ashore with winds between 135mph and 150 mph with higher gusts. We can only hope that it will be weaker than that but that’s the current forecast and scientific thinking. Hurricane Hugo striking Charleston South Carolina in 1989 would be a similar type. I surveyed the damage and saw destruction like you could not believe. I do not know what part of the coast will experience this type of destruction but when the eye of the storm comes ashore, I’m sure it will be horrific. If the storm is this powerful when it comes ashore, it will have the ability to completely blow down houses that are not made of strong brick or concrete. I want to emphasize that this would occur if the storm is that strong and only in the small area where the eye comes ashore. The storm surge with such a storm could reach 10 to 15 feet above normal water levels and could easily go inland several miles depending on what part of the coast it strikes. The secondary danger that could be even worse is what I alluded to several days ago. Once the storm comes ashore it will stall for at least three or four days and this could bring such flooding to boggle the imagination and could rival the flooding of Houston last year in areas north and north west of where the center gets stuck inland. The exact location of that flooding cannot be determined until we know where the storm stalls. All areas from northern South Carolina North Carolina and Virginia (including inland spots)need to be very vigilant and watch the forecast daily. I have been a meteorologist in Virginia for almost 30 years and this very well may be the most serious threat I have seen to life and property since starting my career in 1987. Not all areas in these three states will experience what I am speaking about. We don’t know which areas yet will get slammed until we know where it I will come ashore and where it stalls out. I will update again tomorrow and I cannot take questions sorry. Do remember there is still a 5% chance that it may stall just out to sea and sit and eventually move away and there is still a chance, though not very great, that the storm is only a category two or three which would still be horrible but not catastrophic.
09-09-2018 08:06 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

Messages In This Thread
RE: OT- Hurricane Florence Discussion - ODUCoach - 09-09-2018 08:06 PM
OT- Hurricane Florence Discussion - odu09 - 09-10-2018, 07:57 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.