panama Offline
Legend

I Root For: Georgia STATE
RE: Stadium Renovation and Construction Thread
(03-03-2021 08:04 PM)whittx Wrote:  
(02-26-2021 02:23 PM)panama Wrote:  
(02-26-2021 12:41 PM)quo vadis Wrote:  
(02-26-2021 11:27 AM)panama Wrote:  
(02-26-2021 09:18 AM)quo vadis Wrote:  Eh, that's not "on campus" the way I think about. "On campus" are stadiums like LSU and Ohio State, where you are walking around the grounds of the actual historical campus, where all the classroom building and dorms etc. are and right there in the mix of that is, well, the stadium. To be truly OCS, the stadium has to be in that mix or immediately adjacent to it, so that there's no intervening space.

Stadiums that are built away from the actual campus, but with plans to build other university facilities around it are quasi OCS. They are kind of extensions or satellites from the campus.

For example, if USF were to tear down its existing track and soccer stadium and build a football stadium there, that would be "in the mix" as the soccer stadium is in the area of the main campus. If we built it on the MOSI grounds, which are across the street from the main campus that would qualify too as it is adjacent to the campus so would be a natural extension of it. But if we bought the dying University Mall property, which is about a half-mile from our campus, and built a stadium there, with plans to build other facilities around it, such that students would be taking shuttles or something to the games, that would be a "quasi" situation. Not truly on campus, IMO. It wouldn't be on the current campus, rather we would be building a new campus, in effect.
Even our Downtown campus is really 3 campuses in the same area. Same for Georgia Tech. In fact GT plays basketball 10 blocks from where they play football. Their practice facility is a mile from the stadium. Yet it's all in campus. I think SDSU's plan with forms / student apartments by the stadium and classrooms etc qualifies as on campus unless you mean that you have to be next to the registrars office.

No, not necessarily next to the Registrar's Office, but within the area of the main campus. That in my view is an OCS. Georgia State and, apparently, SDST's new stadium, is a quasi-OCS. Not a true one. It's owned by the university, but on land separated from the main campus.

The whole idea of an "OCS" is that it doesn't require modes of transport to access by the university community. If you're on the main campus it's a short stroll to the stadium. If you're taking buses or shuttles or cars to get there, or need a 20 minute walk through the city, it's not OCS.

Tulane and UCF have true OCS.
By your definition a good number of the traditional blue blood P5 do not have an OCS I guess. I know in our case there are student apartments across the street from the stadium. Definitely q "short stroll" .

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

Does having admissions and financial aid in the stadium count even if the stadium is at the edge of campus? Or if the stadium across a river from campus count (even if it is infinitely better than the previous stadium location?
Seems like a very specific situation you're referring to. LOL

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk
03-03-2021 10:39 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: Stadium Renovation and Construction Thread - panama - 03-03-2021 10:39 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.