ODU Monarchs

Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

The "I assure you, Jeff Jones isn't being fired or sitting on a hot seat" Thread
Gilesfan Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: ODU
RE: The "I assure you, Jeff Jones isn't being fired or sitting on a hot seat"...
(06-01-2018 01:28 PM)FearTheLion Wrote:  
(06-01-2018 01:05 PM)ODU BBALL Wrote:  ODU has had a lot of teams since the 70's (Sonny Allen era) and last year's team (Jeff Jones era), a lot, that were better than last season's team. Coach Allen had a few, Coach Webb had a few, Coach Young had at least one, Coach Capel had one or two, and Coach Taylor had several. I saw those teams play and I saw the team play last year. That's all I need to be able to see the difference.

I went to those games in the past with the reasonable expectation that ODU would defeat the visiting team no matter how good they were. It is from an era that caused in state teams like VA Tech and UVA to decide that they didn't want to play ODU any longer. W & M was always a game that ODU expected to win and in most cases win fairly easily. W & M must be great these days since ODU can no longer defeat them. We all know that isn't the case since W & M still has never made the NCAA Tournament. ODU has simply been in decline. VCU was always a game that the fans of both teams knew would be a hard fought game with each winning their share. Since Blaine's departure it is apparent that VCU now expects to defeat ODU and rightfully so.

Agree with this. We've had better teams before. And those stats are of ZERO significance to that factual opinion. <snicker>

To that end (and as I attempt to redirect this ever-repeating topic), I was debating with a former teammate the notion that the GSW is the most talented team ever assembled in the NBA. He says no doubt that when KD went there before last season, they were over the top as the best team ever. Now I'd guess that Giles could pull up numerical support for that, but I debated with him that the Celtics of the 80s (which I absolutely despised) would have given these GSWs so much trouble with the front line of Parrish, McHale, and Bird that GSW would need to shoot a consistently high percentage of 3s just to keep it close. I also debated that the showtime Lakers with Magic at point and a similar sized front line of Kareem, Rambis, and Worthy would have run these GSWs off the floor.

Anyone care to offer an opinion? And apologies in advance for trying to derail such an important thread.

The Celtics best Bird area championship team had a Orating of 111.8 and a drating of 102.6. The last year Golden State team had a 115.6 Oraing and a drating of 104.

The problem with comparing is that teams are soooo much smarter these days about what efficient basketball is. So offenses and defenses are much better than it used to be. Teams are finally figuring out what efficient shots are and what aren't (why postups are not as common).

They wouldn't have to shoot a terribly high percentage to win. Last year they shot 39% on 29 attempts per game. The Celtics team shot 35% on 5 attempts per game.

Four Factors:

GS- .569 eFG%, 14% turnovers, 21% Offensive Rebounds, .195 FT/FGA

Boston .518 eFG%, 14% turnovers, 31% Offensive rebounds, .244 FT/FGA

The only reason Boston is remotely close to the efficiency of GS is getting to the free throw line more often. (OREB don't have as much of an impact)
06-01-2018 01:44 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: The "I assure you, Jeff Jones isn't being fired or sitting on a hot seat"... - Gilesfan - 06-01-2018 01:44 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.