Ackerman: Open to Expansion but 'Nothing on the Horizon'
stever20 Offline
Legend

I Root For: Sports
RE: Ackerman: Open to Expansion but 'Nothing on the Horizon'
(03-20-2018 09:13 PM)gosports1 Wrote:  
(03-20-2018 09:05 PM)stever20 Wrote:  
(03-20-2018 09:02 PM)gosports1 Wrote:  
(03-20-2018 05:11 PM)stever20 Wrote:  The reason why the Big East needs more teams is what happened this year. 2 1 seeds is great, but then the other 4 teams just beat the **** out of each other and got 8-10 seeds. 8-10 seeds are pretty damn close to death.

In the 2 conferences with 10 teams- they had 11 teams finish between 8-10 and 10-8. Of the 11, 3 were NIT. 1 got a 6 seed. The other 7 were 8,8,9,10,10,10,10 seeds. Of those 7- only Kansas St advanced to the 2nd weekend due to UMBC beating Virginia. The other 6 all gone, 4 of the 6 1st game.

Compare to the AAC/Pac 12- just conference record wise. Pac 12 had 5 teams finish at 11-7 or stronger. AAC had 4 teams finishing at 12-6 or stronger. Big East/Big 12 teams finishing with 11-12 wins would be getting 4 or 5 seeds.

they both only had 3 teams make the tourney and in the case of P12 two were play in games

That's not what I'm saying. I'm saying if the Big East had teams with those records, what would the seeds be? If the Big East standings were what the AAC had with 12 teams.
Xavier 16-2 1 seed
Nova 14-4 1 seed
Seton Hall 14-4 3 or 4 seed
Butler 12-6 5 or 6 seed

yeah, pretty big difference for Seton Hall and Butler.

ok got it. . I'm still torn between getting less teams and higher seeds. or more teams , some of whom are lower seeds. would it have been better if we didn't have 5 teams vying for 3rd-8th place the last week of the season? I'm not sure. I expect at somepoint when we have another year like this one, the 8-9-10 seed will advance.

What's been absolutely bizarre for the Big East these last 4 years- league has had 9 teams in the 7-10 lines(I think they're all 8-10's actually). 0 of those have advanced to the 2nd weekend. There were then 55 other teams who were on the 7-10 lines and 12 of them I believe it was advanced to the 2nd weekend. 12/55 is like 22% I believe.

I'd have to also note with the AAC final standings- they had the 4 teams at 12-6 or stronger- but then also a 10-8 and 9-9 team...

So extrapolate that to the Big East-
current 1,1,8,8,10,10
proj with 12- 1,1,4,5,8,10

the projected with 12 gives the league a FAR better shot of having 3 or 4 teams in the sweet 16. The Round Robin is a great quaint idea. But this idea that some folks have that it absolutely must be protected at all costs is rather bizarre to me. It's absolutely hurt the league in March. There's a reason why the league is only 27-26 in the 5 years of the NBE, and with only 1 winning season in the tourney. And that's the Round Robin forces so many losses that it kills your seeding. Big 12 even is only 37-30- not a great record for what has been the #1 conference in all 5 years.

Big East fans are really something. They value the regular season SO much more than March. There's 1 reason why the Big East gets more respect now than they did 2 years ago. Doesn't have a damn thing to do with a single regular season game. It's got 100% to do with Villanova winning the National Championship. Like it or not, college basketball is to a lot of fans just a 1 month sport.

I mean go with Virginia in the ACC right now. Their program has been great in the regular season with 5 straight top 5 seeds(with 3 1 seeds and a 2 seed). But they have not produced in March in any fashion. Their perception even before UMBC was this was a program that shrinks in March. And that's just going to be worse now obviously. A lot of fans view Syracuse as being a better program than Virginia right now due to March.
03-21-2018 12:16 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: Ackerman: Open to Expansion but 'Nothing on the Horizon' - stever20 - 03-21-2018 12:16 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.