Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Thread Closed 
Rumor-UConn and Cincy to ACC in 2018?
Bogg Offline
All American

I Root For: UConn
RE: Rumor-UConn and Cincy to ACC in 2018?
(03-26-2017 04:45 PM)Eagle78 Wrote:  
(03-26-2017 04:25 PM)Bogg Wrote:  
(03-26-2017 04:08 PM)nzmorange Wrote:  
(03-26-2017 04:02 PM)Bogg Wrote:  
(03-26-2017 03:52 PM)nzmorange Wrote:  It's not a neutral number. The schools submit the numbers, and they all count differently. Some count people at the game (including press, players, etc.), others count tickets sold, others count paid attendance, others count fans at the game (including tickets given away), and others count tickets sold + tickets given away. All of those methodologies are valid (or at least commonly used), and they all have wildly different results. I have no idea how either school counts attendance, so I can't comment on it. And I'm guessing you're in the same boat as me.

The fact of the matter is that BC does have years of being very good, and they have for decades. That's relevance.

UConn fb is a new program that has never sone anything great, and UConn BB has some great accomplishments, but that's been the direct result of a now retired coach. I know Ollie won in his first year, but that was JC's team. UConn BB will probably be "back," but I'd choose BC if I had to choose.

Ollie won the title in his second year, following a season they were postseason ineligible due to APR issues from the final Calhoun years that led to a bunch of transfers out of the program. Ollie functionally had to recruit his own players to stay.

That being said - BC's been exceedingly average in football over the last decade - their high water mark is a win in the Champs Sports Bowl 10 seasons ago. Granted, UConn's been bad since they made the Fiesta Bowl (the same year BC lost the Fight Hunger Bowl to Nevada, so save the Oklahoma jokes), but BC football's been nothing great with all the advantages of P5 membership. If they were sitting in the AAC right now? They'd be a wreck. As it is, they have basically no more fan support than UConn does.

You're way over-attributing that title to Ollie IMHO.

And UConn was in a power conference until very recently.

Am I? That UConn team had one fringe NBA player (Napier) on the entire roster and won the title from a 7-seed, going through the 2nd, 3rd, and 4th seeded teams in their bracket and the 1-seed in the South bracket, as well as a Kentucky team with a bunch of future NBA players on it. That's hardly a cake walk.

Secondly - yes, and when UConn was in the Big East they were consistently averaging a near-sellout year over year. Put UConn in a conference the fans care about and they'll sell out their stadium. As it is, UConn put more bodies in the stands for Virginia than BC did for Louisville last year.

Yes, nice way to cherry pick games. By 392 fans...and when one backs out the ticket takers, concession workers, etc. that Uconn reportedly includes in its published counts, that is probably no longer true, is it? Funny you didn't choose the BC game the week before where it had a 44,500 sellout.

Also funny how you didn't include the year-end averages of the two schools - which is the only really relevant number. Wonder why. LOL!

The sellout game was against eventual national champion Clemson - you should sell that game out. Discussing year-end averages is how we got here in the first place - over the last decade, BC's barely outperformed UConn despite being in the ACC and getting to host opponents like that, and back when UConn was playing in the Big East UConn was actually outperforming BC in that metric half the time. Now, UConn's numbers are trending down the longer they're in the AAC, so I imagine that trend won't continue, but drop UConn in a conference where the fans care and they'll go back to outselling BC (and vice versa - the original question was if both schools were in the AAC. Alumni Stadium would be lucky to be half full against UCF, so you can't just use BC'S ACC attendance in that question).
(This post was last modified: 03-26-2017 05:08 PM by Bogg.)
03-26-2017 05:04 PM
Find all posts by this user
Thread Closed 

Messages In This Thread
RE: Rumor-UConn and Cincy to ACC in 2018? - Bogg - 03-26-2017 05:04 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 2 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.