Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Nippert Defilement - Saw it Tonight
Bookmark and Share
Bearhawkeye Offline
The King of Breakfast

I Root For: Zinzinnati
RE: Nippert Defilement - Saw it Tonight
(11-15-2017 11:37 AM)geef Wrote:  
(11-15-2017 11:14 AM)rath v2.0 Wrote:  I heard the same bullish!t message yesterday as Berding pushed on May 25th, 2017.

Quote:Berding also suggested public investment would be a payback to the Lindner family for its largesse over the years.

“Carl Lindner and his family have brought thousands of jobs to the city for decades and never asked for help,” Berding said.

Riiiiight...

Not an apples to apples comparison, but it's been interesting to watch the FC Cincinnati stadium debate from my perspective. I'm a MLS season ticket holder (Portland Timbers) and unabashed soccer fan. The Timbers have a 21,000 seat stadium, 13,000 person season ticket waiting list, and they're part of this city's fabric in a way that's similar to Ohio State in Columbus. Basically, they can do no wrong. Their ownership announced plans for a stadium renovation and expansion last winter, and that expansion began last week. It's comparatively modest at $75 million total, but at no point was there a mention of public funding. The owner, Hank Paulson's son, doesn't have Lindner money, but he has plenty. And he framed the expansion as a way of investing in his business and his fans, who have essentially made his business successful. As a sports fan, the business language makes me cringe. But that's what it is, and that's how we should treat it. The county's tax dollars, especially if related to tourism, can be spent so much more effectively. Expand Findlay Market. Create a formal brewery district with incentives for new brewers to renovate buildings. Market the underground Cincinnati tours. Complete the Wasson Way Bike Trail. Just don't give away money to a billionaire, who in turn lines his own pockets.

While I think those are all nice projects, I"m not sure any of them truly promote tourism. I mean you really think people are going to fly to and stay in Cincinnati just to ride the Wasson Way Bike Trail? It could attract locals, but I don't see it bringing tourists. And if it's just locals, then you are largely just shuffling the same money to a different location.

Professional sports does, however, encourage tourism and outside money. Not as much as it likes to hype I'm sure but it does bring some. From fans to press to tv crews, you have people from out of the area coming here to spend money in the area and then leaving. That's money that wouldn't be spent here otherwise and that impacts a lot of businesses from hotels to restaurants to transportation especially when you consider the ripple effect.

If you want to change the hotel tax laws with regard to tourism, then let's debate that. But let's not forget that this money is part of a hotel tax which in part depends upon tourism. So we're talking about one of the few businesses that helps drive tourism which in turn increases hotel tax proceeds that would then be used in part to build necessary infrastructure for that business. Let me put it another way: This business helps attract the very people that primarily are actually paying the tax: tourists and out-of-towners who stay in hotels. Locals aren't the ones paying this tax. I guess if you are simply against any subsidies of any type to any business, then none of that matters. But as far as that stuff goes, this is about as reasonable of a request as you will see as I understand it.

(This post was last modified: 11-15-2017 05:39 PM by Bearhawkeye.)
11-15-2017 05:02 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: Nippert Defilement - Saw it Tonight - Bearhawkeye - 11-15-2017 05:02 PM
Nippert Defilement - Saw it Tonight - mlb - 10-07-2018, 12:33 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 3 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.