Nippert Defilement - Saw it Tonight
Bookmark and Share
djtothemoney Offline
2nd String

I Root For: Cincinnati
RE: Nippert Defilement - Saw it Tonight
(07-28-2017 01:45 PM)crex043 Wrote:  
(07-28-2017 12:59 PM)djtothemoney Wrote:  
(07-28-2017 12:48 PM)crex043 Wrote:  Berding knows that FC Cincy needs a new stadium. That much is clear based on the statements of the MLS thus far. Even though Cincinnati appears to have captured a groundswell of support and fandom for futbol, MLS runs the show and has clearly stated FCC needs to have plans for a new stadium if they'd like to be invited. Berding is only going into detail in response to Portune's actions.

I think Portune is the one actually walking a pretty fine line, here. I think FCC will get a stadium in the area if they want it, with things falling to NKY if Cincinnati is not willing to provide an avenue of public funding. Portune is doing everything he can to ensure there is no chance it happens in Cincinnati - or that a conversation even takes place. I'm not sure that is a good look for him. I know he's championed himself as the leader of the opposition to the Bengals lease agreement, but this is a different situation and likely a much more reasonable partner. He shouldn't be so quick to dismiss the mere conversation about continuing to have FCC in Cincinnati. With the growth of soccer in the US, the FCC could potentially replace the popularity and tax revenue of the Bengals in ten years when the NFL may or may not still be present in Cincinnati.

Ultimately, his demands to keep FCC at Nippert are not reasonable and he runs the risk of losing FCC to NKY or damaging their bid to enter the MLS.

Are you a resident of the City of Cincinnati? How about Hamilton County?

No, I'm not a Cincinnati resident. Yes, I'm a resident of Hamilton County. I pay for PBS and would likely have to pay for the FCC stadium, too. That doesn't mean I automatically oppose FCC having a stadium in the city. If the resulting revenue to the city is greater than the public funding and the benefit is great enough to be enjoyed by many citizens (a revitalized West End), I'm receptive to increasing taxes. Just because we got screwed with the Bengals stadium that hosts 10 or so mediocre sporting events per year doesn't mean we should turn away any public funding products, nor have we. FCC plays, what, 20+ events per year at their home stadium? Plus, their stadium would be used for other events, concerts, and would likely drive revitalization in the immediate area (especially in the West End).

I'm of the opinion that the Bengals will either be looking for a new home in a larger market in ten years when their lease expires, or the NFL will not be nearly as popular as it is now. It needs to be replaced with something else, and if FCC wants to get into the MLS it has to act now and not when PBS is empty.

If you are so sure the Bengals are going to want out of PBS, then maybe FCC should purchase PBS from the City and then charge Mike Brown rent?

The other point here, while you may call the Bengals product "mediocre" their average attendance is well over 50k per game.

Even if the city and county didn't get screwed, I would be saying the same thing. If you want to build a stadium, go ahead, you have the money. Don't make the public pay for your property.

07-28-2017 01:59 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: Nippert Defilement - Saw it Tonight - djtothemoney - 07-28-2017 01:59 PM
Nippert Defilement - Saw it Tonight - mlb - 10-07-2018, 12:33 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.