Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

North Dakota to Summit League and MVFC
MplsBison Offline
Banned

I Root For: NDSU/Minnesota
RE: North Dakota to Summit League and MVFC
(01-31-2017 06:13 PM)NoDak Wrote:  http://www.grandforksherald.com/sports/4...s-programs

With the latest ND budget cuts, UND is facing a 6.9% cut. The sports need to be announced by middle of February. Would expect that they will be M/W tennis and possibly M/W swimming. We meet Title IX and baseball was cut earlier. We have 20 sports now, which is way too many.

Meanwhile at NDSU, they will need to cut 12.2% out of their budget, as they haven't announced cuts to this date. NDSU only has 16 sports.

No universities in North Dakota need to sponsoring swimming, golf, or tennis as varsity intercollegiate sports. Those are sports where, with what little participation there is from North Dakota youth, if you're good you go into the club/private route.

Not sure about UND and cutting MW Golf, MW Swim, MW Tennis, and how that balances your budget cuts, but for NDSU I doubt that cutting MW Golf will solve the cuts. More than likely, I could see them needing to cut baseball too.

Problem is that would drop NDSU to 13 sports. I believe 14 is the minimum, with 6 men's/8 women's being one option. So then, you'd have to keep W Golf. Perhaps then, it will be M Golf + Baseball that is cut at NDSU.

Wouldn't bother me a bit to see baseball go at NDSU. The RedHawks are hugely popular and NDSU baseball usually isn't competitive. The men's sports that matter at NDSU are: football, basketball, wrestling, and track.

(01-31-2017 11:57 PM)Mav Wrote:  The most that could happen from this is IPFW and IUPUI further pursuing Horizon League membership.

This could very well happen, if the MVC lose both Wichita (to the AAC) and (as a result) Missouri St (to the Sun Belt), then the MVC takes two from the Horizon.

I'd be just fine with that, moving ever closer to an upgraded, DI version of the NCC.

(02-01-2017 12:46 AM)Shox Wrote:  At that point the Dak 4 own the conference.

They already do. 07-coffee3

(02-01-2017 12:46 AM)Shox Wrote:  One of SCSU and Minnesota State would be a lock to move up, my guess would be Mankato, but SCSU would be more willing to drop football to do it.

Don't forget about Duluth, market-wise and as a research school (much higher than St Cloud and Mankato). Plus the U would probably love to get rid of Duluth football, in exchange for letting them go DI.

But at any rate, I seriously doubt either of the MNSCU flagship schools are in any position to consider a move-up, even with dropping football.
(This post was last modified: 02-01-2017 02:17 PM by MplsBison.)
02-01-2017 02:15 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: North Dakota to Summit League and MVFC - MplsBison - 02-01-2017 02:15 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.