Jim Delany: Friday night games coming to the Big Ten
Bookmark and Share
RutgersGuy Offline
All American

I Root For: Rutgers
RE: Jim Delany: Friday night games coming to the Big Ten
(07-14-2017 08:42 AM)BadgerMJ Wrote:  
(11-02-2016 05:08 PM)tcufrog86 Wrote:  
(11-02-2016 05:03 PM)ohio1317 Wrote:  Michigan State I think normally hosts Friday the first week of year and Nebraska/Iowa is Black Friday now. Hopefully those count as 2 of the 6 every year.

And honestly those two Fridays I have no issues with, especially Black Friday which has hosted football for a long time and football is a major part of Thanksgiving weekend in a lot of households.

I also have absolutely no problem with Friday night games.

I don't get all the hand wringing over this. Before most high schools had lights, they played on Saturday mornings/afternoons. In fact, many still do. Why some seem to think that high schools now OWN Friday nights is beyond me.

Beyond that, not everyone cares about high school football. Some of us want to be able to watch a decent college football game on a Friday night and we have just as might right to do so as the HS fan.

There's also this little piece of reality as well........

When the networks are going to pay you almost $450 million PER YEAR, they're going to want programming and program options. They aren't going to pay that kind of money unless they think they're going to get eyeballs on their network. Since Friday nights have a reputation of being slow sports nights on TV, what better way to get viewership than to have a major conference playing games on a Friday night?

Pretty simple, if you want your favorite school to share in that bigger piece of the pie you're going to have to give a little bit. If you're THAT much of a "purist", I'd suggest writing your University President and urge them to not accept all that additional money. Good luck with that.

Exactly! And no one is forcing your school to play every Friday night. Oh no once a year your team plays on a Friday! Lord have mercy! Get over it, most of us don't care about HS football. I'd much rather have a interesting game on afterwork on a Friday night. The Big East started Thursday Night Football with exciting games back in 2007/08. UofL beating ranked WVU then the next week Rutgers beat highly ranked UofL. It was exciting football when no one else was on. I remember fun games against Matt Grothe led USF on Fridays a few times.

Michigan with it's temper tantrum about it should give their extra money to the schools who will gladly play Friday nights like Maryland and Rutgers.
07-14-2017 10:55 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: Jim Delany: Friday night games coming to the Big Ten - RutgersGuy - 07-14-2017 10:55 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.