Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Men's Basketball Recruiting: 2018
Gilesfan Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: ODU
RE: Men's Basketball Recruiting: 2018
(06-14-2018 02:45 PM)ziggoo Wrote:  
(06-14-2018 02:19 PM)odu09 Wrote:  
(06-14-2018 01:31 PM)Gilesfan Wrote:  There are certainly a ton of other factors. Stansbury inherited an 18 win team and won 15 games the following year..then 27. Jones inherited a 5 win team and won 18 then 27.

I mentioned that WKY was a slightly better team than us last year. That is pretty clear. I'm not sure why you single out specific games to makes some type of strange sample size driven argument.

Stansbury is certainly a better recruiter. In terms of in game coaching, I would seriously contend that. Especially when the year prior we really didn't have a good team and wiped the floor with them twice.

Im glad you expect more, but judging coaches based on 3-5 games is pointless. If anyone thinks Stansbury going to dominate this conference, I have my reservations about that.

And for the no evidence of misconduct, he's been suspended before (before his Miss State days) and they were mentioned in the FBI report in recruiting of Robinson, but he did not end up playing at all for WKY so there was no punishment. And while there is no proof, if you ask a large number of Miss State fans, they believe Stansbury was likely to be hit with punishment at Miss State if they didn't split ways. Obviously, thats conjecture.

Considering Jim Corrigan acquired the 5 win team partly through the season when they only had 2 wins (they were 2-20 when Corrigan took over), then finished 3-5 with that team that year (to finish 5-25). I just don't think that argument of JJ inheriting a 5 win team and being able to win with it next year is very strong. Sample size, I get it.

I disagree that WKU was only slightly better than us. I think they were much better than us. WKU went on to find NIT success. One cannot discount their NIT success while praising JJ for his NIT success.

It's going to be pretty impossible to prove who is a better coach without putting down film here, I don't think either one of us feels like doing that. We will just have to disagree there.

You can tell me "see I told you so" when Stansbury gets punished. Until then, he is doing good work and I would hope that with our fanbase, facilities, and location, we could be at least on par with their recruiting.
Piggybacking off this - WKU's wins @USC and @Oklahoma St. during their NIT run are more impressive than any road wins ODU has managed during JJ's time at ODU. Together with a neutral win vs Purdue and H / N / A wins vs ODU last year I'd say Stansbury in his second year at WKU already has a more impressive body of work than JJ does in 5 years.

From a purely a comparative standpoint,

In 2015, ODU beat Richmond on the road (59 ranked KenPom; #1 NIT seed), LSU (49 ranked KenPOm; #9 NCAA seed) on neutral court. At home, they beat Illinois State (62), VCU (30, 7 seed NCAA), Georgia State (68; 14 NCAA seed), Murray State (#57, #3 NIT)

USC was ranked 51 and a #1 NIT seed and Oklahoma State was ranked 59 and was a number 2 NIT seed.

Sometimes people get caught up in name appeal. THough, I will say the Purdue win (non NIT) was extremely impressive.
06-14-2018 03:32 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
Men's Basketball Recruiting: 2018 - odu09 - 05-17-2018, 09:25 AM
RE: Men's Basketball Recruiting: 2018 - Gilesfan - 06-14-2018 03:32 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 2 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.