Gilesfan Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: ODU
RE: Men's Basketball Recruiting: 2018
(02-05-2018 12:56 PM)JJMonarch Wrote:  
(02-05-2018 12:09 PM)Gilesfan Wrote:  
(02-05-2018 11:30 AM)ODU BBALL Wrote:  
(02-05-2018 10:28 AM)Gilesfan Wrote:  
(02-04-2018 05:56 PM)ODU BBALL Wrote:  We need another Trey Porter type transfer instead of a small forward - power forward hybrid.

It depends on how the staff feels Ezikpe can play as a freshman. If they believe he can back up Porter and give the team 10-15 mins per game, they can get away with taking best player available.

Next Year:

Point Guards
Caver Sr
Kithcart

Combo Guards
Wade

Wing Players
Godwin
Hueitt
Stith Sr
Green

Combo Forwards
Carver
Reece
Pilavios

Interior Players
Porter Sr
Ekikpe

Even if Ezikpe is good enough to play 15-20 minutes backing up Porter at the Center position, he and Porter alone would be cutting it too thin depth wise.

Foul trouble, illness, injury, death in the family, team rules violations, etc. can all mean that a player has to miss time in one or more games. As we have seen it could even be for an entire year. At that point everyone on the depth chart moves up a spot. How many times over the past 3 years has Vassor been called upon even though he is at least 3rd on the depth chart at the center position? ODU must have a big man inside to successfully play Jeff's style of basketball. That has been clearly evident this season. With 2 of his 3 Center position players graduating (Brandan & Vassor) there is a hole there to be filled, and it should be filled with at least 2 replacements, not 1. Also, I tend to believe that Ezikpe would be better suited at the PF position and ODU would be more successful if they could pair him with a guy like Porter at the Center position.

Vassor has played 50 mins this year and very little of that has been in meaningful situations. The 4/5 spots have essentially ben a 3 man rotation of Carver, Porter, Stith. BJ has rotated over a played a little bit of small ball 4. As I was saying under the assumption that Ekipkpe can play a few mins (not a prediction), then that gives them the 3 person rotation without factoring anytime from Reece or Pilavious.

Vassor is the 4th big on the team this year. Next years team will have Carver, Porter, Ekipke, Reece, and Pilavious at the 4/5 positions. I would venture to guess we see more BJ at the 4 next year as Goodwin/Hueit/Green earn more time on the wings.

Ekikpe (6-7 230) is basically the size of Brandan Stith right now (maybe taller, but not sure of wingspan...looks long). He doesn't have the athleticism to guard anyone outside the lane at this point. He is more suited as an interior player that can occasionally spot up for shots on the outside. Asking him to match up with stretch 4s is probably too much to ask. He is much more suited to guard Chris Cokley type player instead of Nick King. On offense, playing him with Porter clogs to paint too much. Reece/Carver are better pairings with Porter.

Don't forget Reece. He could be that stretch 4 at 6'9" that we have needed.

I mean, I named him several times. :)
02-05-2018 01:12 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: Men's Basketball Recruiting: 2018 - Gilesfan - 02-05-2018 01:12 PM
Men's Basketball Recruiting: 2018 - odu09 - 05-17-2018, 09:25 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 2 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.