Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Future of ND’s season ending games in CA
Frank the Tank Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Illinois/DePaul
RE: Future of ND’s season ending games in CA
(08-04-2022 07:21 PM)Fighting Muskie Wrote:  
(08-04-2022 07:12 PM)Frank the Tank Wrote:  This should be obvious: USC-ND isn’t going anywhere regardless of whether ND joins the Big Ten or not.

The Big Ten’s TV partners absolutely, positively, 1000% badly want that game every other year to plug into the prime time slot on Thanksgiving weekend (after Michigan-Ohio State).

If USC decides on their own that they think the schedule is too tough, then that’s one thing. However, ND is as much as USC’s rival as UCLA, so I don’t believe that’s how they’re thinking at all. At the same time, the Big Ten absolutely wants that game to continue. They’re getting $1 billion-plus per year from its media partners to be completely flexible for Big Ten teams playing ND as much and as often as they want to.

USC-UCLA is just as viable in that time slot and it doesn’t require another Big 10 school to find an OOC game. If the rivalry continues, I doubt we see it in week 13 beyond 2026.

Unless Maryland or Rutgers is dying to play Army, UConn, or UMass that weekend I don’t see the Irish getting special treatment—they aren’t even a conference member for goodness sakes.

One of the most important rules of conference realignment is that there will ALWAYS be an exception for Notre Dame. You may not like it, but those are the facts. The TV partners are banking on USC-ND every other year in their rights fees calculations for the Big Ten, as well. The conference absolutely, 1000% wants that game to continue and if it needs to be on Thanksgiving weekend to do that, then that’s what they’ll do. It can’t be any clearer.
08-05-2022 06:53 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: Future of ND’s season ending games in CA - Frank the Tank - 08-05-2022 06:53 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.