Next CFP: Scheduling Around the NFL Calendar
johnbragg Offline
Five Minute Google Expert

I Root For: St Johns
RE: Next CFP: Scheduling Around the NFL Calendar
(07-24-2022 04:23 PM)Fighting Muskie Wrote:  
(07-24-2022 02:35 PM)johnbragg Wrote:  
(07-24-2022 02:29 PM)Maize Wrote:  
(07-24-2022 01:48 PM)johnbragg Wrote:  Let's assume the 6+6 format, or a straight 12 format, with December first round games and New Year's Day quarterfinals. (One QF on either Jan 2 or Dec 31). 2 Semifinals in January and then a National Championship game. And at least 7 days between rounds--nobody should be playing a playoff game on 6 days rest.

CFP honcho Bill Hancock has said that the NCG is on a Monday because fans have to travel, and a Monday is at least weekend-adjacent.

The NFL season will now run 18 weeks, with 2 Saturday games on Week 18, and 6 playoff games on Wild Card Weekend--2 on Saturday, 3 on Sunday, 1 on Monday.

So Saturday is out, Sunday was never an option. And now at least one Monday is now spoken for.

That leaves Friday, and since there are only so many hours in prime time, a game on Thursday.

So something like

First Round:
2nd/3rd Saturday in December. 2 games on campus
3rd/4th Saturday in December. 2 games on campus

Quarterfinals
New Years Day (or Jan 2). 12:30 QF bowl, 5:00 QF Rose Bowl, 8:30 QF Bowl.
New YEars Eve: QF Bowl (If Jan 1 is a Sunday, 4th QF is probably on Tues Jan 3)

Semifinals
SEcond Thursday in January (Jan 8-14)
Friday, Day after Second Thurdsay (Jan 9-15)

National Championship Game
Friday, 8 days after Second Thursday in January. (Jan 16-22)

Comments? Did I miss something important?

I'm assuming the Rose Bowl gets a permanent QF slot, and lets the other 5 NY6 bowls rotate the 3 QF's and 2 semis, and the semifinal bowls don't play a New Years' Day/Eve/Week game.

EDIT: Here it is in more calendar-ish form. https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1...sp=sharing

The Rose Bowl with the Pac 10 basically gutted should be open .... you can leave the caveat that if a Big Ten School makes it that far they go to the Rose Bowl ... New Years Day and same time slot ...

I figure the Rose Bowl has to schedule months/years in advance. They can't be moving the game and parade or not, based on how the Big Ten champ ranks on the Sunday after the CCGs.

Either they rotate or not. If they don't rotate, it's simple. They're a QF, and they get the Big Ten champ if available.
IF they do rotate, it's less simple. Either the Rose Bowl gets knocked off New Years DAy (or mon jan 2) every 3 years, or they play the Rose Bowl on NYD and knock a second QF to Dec 31/ Jan 2.

The simplest solution is to slot the Rose Bowl in its traditional 5 p.m. slot, quarterfinal every year, and leave them out of the semifinal rotation.

EDIT: This doesn't fulfill everything the Rose Bowl wanted in their memo, but you can't have everything.
Rose Bowl wanted an annual quarterfinal game AND a share of the semifinal / NCG rotation. But I think the 5 p.m. New Years' Day timeslot is more important to them than getting to host a semifinal on a Thursday or Friday the week after New YEars.

What’s with all the hate for the Rose Bowl?

I don't hate the Rose Bowl. The Rose Bowl is the only traditional bowl with any added value. The Oragne, PEach, Sugar, Cotton, Fiesta Bowls are just games in big stadiums in (hopefully) destination cities. The Peach Bowl dropped their name for a while, the "Cotton Bowl" isn't in the Cotton Bowl, the Fiesta and Orange have bounced around between stadiums. If the money was right, you could move those games to Tampa, Charlotte, Houston, Orlando and Las Vegas and nobody would care.

The Rose Bowl is magic--sunset over the San Gabriel mountains, granddaddy-of-em-all, 5 pm New Years Day. Which means money.

Now, there IS resentment at the Rose Bowl and Big Ten in the south, I think. For years, the Rose Bowl was the biggest obstacle to a "true national champion", biggest obstacle to a playoff. I think, in Atlanta and Dallas and Tallahassee and NAshville, the Rose Bowl is NOT magic, and people who go on about how magical it is sound stupid. I think that was a factor in the failure of the 6+6 playoff last year--no provision was made for the Rose Bowl, and they expected the Rose Bowl and Big Ten to roll over and take it. Ooops.

Quote:It’s really quite simple—the Rose Bowl is a quarter final played on NYD on it’s typical time slot and plays host the the Big 10 and whomever advances to it from the opening round game.

Your other 3 quarter finals can be the Orange, Sugar, and Fiesta, with one on NYE and the other to on NYD, before and after the Rose Bowl. If the Sugar wants the SEC each year fine. The Orange can have the ACC if they get a bye. The Big 12 and PAC 10 can be the traditional tie ins for the Fiesta.

Why do people fall into this trap and go mental gymnastics over why the Rose Bowl can’t maintain the tradition they’ve cultivated for decades.

If they go back to 4 major bowls instead of 6, the Rose Bowl isn't complicated at all. Rose, Sugar, Orange, Cotton/Fiesta, boom done. But I think they'll rotate in the Peach and Cotton.

If the Rose Bowl wants to be a quarterfinal every year (which makes money which means it make sense), I think they have to concede something.

The most logical concession is the semifinal rotation. There is no magic and no extra revenue added to a Rose Bowl game on Thursday January 10 or Friday January 14 compared to a game in New Orleans or Atlanta or Dallas or Tuscon, or at SoFi or Las Vegas or Charlotte or Houston or Nashville.
(This post was last modified: 07-24-2022 06:03 PM by johnbragg.)
07-24-2022 06:01 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: Next CFP: Scheduling Around the NFL Calendar - johnbragg - 07-24-2022 06:01 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.