Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Nice to see college athletes will now be getting paid
Bookmark and Share
northcoastRocket Online
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Toledo
RE: Nice to see college athletes will now be getting paid
Well, NIL is the law of the land now, and already there were some unexpected results. For instance, one of the 1st big contracts signed by college players went to 2 WBB players from ... wait for it ... Fresno State. Yep.
https://www.espn.com/college-sports/stor...e-likeness

Will be very interesting to see what happens. UT already brought in someone to talk to basketball players about this. And I see players tweeting that they are open to discussions.

Now, will any UT players make a boatload of money, very unlikely. But I think there will be some amounts of money flowing in maybe unexpected ways. Social media contracts to rep products on their twitter or instagram or tik-tok accounts may happen - even if the contract is only for free product, and not cash. Local businesses could pay appearance fees for promotional events. Speaking fees are a possibility. There will likely be trading card contracts coming back for college athletes, and it's possible some MAC players could get in on that. I am sure other interesting things will happen.

At this level, the money may not flow to just the best players, but to the players who are most marketable, based on their personalities or how photogenic they are. For example, I could see a player like Quinesha Lockett with her bubbly personality being of interest to certain companies as a marketing spokesperson locally, or even back in Nebraska. I could also see a player like AJ Edu getting offered contracts to rep things back in the Philippines, where he is known. So, international athletes may have an advantage there. I think this is all fine, as long as the players don't start spending so much time trying to negotiate deals that it interferes with their performance - athletic or academic.

It's a bold new world now, so embrace it or be left behind.
07-01-2021 06:16 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: Nice to see college athletes will now be getting paid - northcoastRocket - 07-01-2021 06:16 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.