Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

College Football Attendance Trends
quo vadis Offline
Legend

I Root For: USF/Georgetown
RE: College Football Attendance Trends
(04-05-2021 01:52 PM)SoCalBobcat78 Wrote:  Australia's success with stamping out Covid-19 did not come from geography, it comes from a hard lockdown and a hard crackdown on violators of Covid-19 restrictions. The police were given more power and they used it. I have a relative that lives in Melbourne and she kept us informed as to how it was going over there. Because they have it under control, they can do contact tracing and keep the spread to a minimum. What they did in Australia would not work here.

Eh, it probably came from both. It's a lot easier to control influxes of people when you can only be reached by boat or plane.

As I said, hard lockdowns can stop a virus. As I also said, if we all jumped off a tall bridge that would too. The issue is the costs of the cure, the crackdowns, vs the benefits of stopping the virus. In a situation where public health experts call the shots, we don't get that kind of tradeoff analysis, because public health experts are experts only in public health - knowing what to do stop a virus - and the culture of public health is to stop diseases by "any means necessary" regardless of the costs incurred in doing so.

That's what was so wrong about the media pontifications about "heeding the warning of public health scientists" to the exclusion of all other voices. Public health experts can tell us what steps are likely to stop or reduce the spread of a disease. They don't have the expertise to tell us if the stopping/reduction of the spread of the disease is worth the costs of the steps taken to do so.
(This post was last modified: 04-07-2021 10:00 AM by quo vadis.)
04-06-2021 01:53 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: College Football Attendance Trends - quo vadis - 04-06-2021 01:53 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.