JMaddy Offline
All American

I Root For: JMU
RE: OT: Connecticut moving to Big East for all sports except football
(08-01-2019 10:52 AM)olddawg Wrote:  
(07-31-2019 04:04 PM)Purplehazed Wrote:  
(07-31-2019 07:44 AM)BDKJMU Wrote:  
(07-30-2019 09:07 PM)BleedingPurple Wrote:  
(07-30-2019 06:43 PM)BDKJMU Wrote:  With I-A giving 85 schollies, that would mean JMU would have only have 40-45 players on full ride. Where have you gotten that?

63 full schollies, can give partials so no more than 85 on any type of scholly. But schools don’t have to split it up to 85. That doesn’t mean JMU has only 40+ on full and then 40+ on partials.

I'm pretty close to a former player of the final years of MM. He told me very few Freshmen are offered full rides, they have to be something special. He was not and went to WVU his first season for that very reason then came to JMU. He said every season there is roughly half the team with somewhere from 20 to 80% of a full scholly. This only makes sense when doing the math. 63 to give to 85 players. If 43 are full scholly that only leaves 20 scholarships to be broken down for 42 other athletes.

Almost all of JMU’s signees have other offers. Most have multiple. Probably at least half have a I-A offer(s). If JMU wasn’t offering those guys (esp the ones with I-A offers), full rides, how would JMU get them to sign over other schools that were offering full rides?

That would be an good question to ask CC- how many are are full ride vs how many were on partials (I would have thought the number would be more like 50-55 full/15-25 partial)..

I know JMU can get a player with a 1A offer once in a while but I expect nowhere even close to 50%.

I think you would be correct in the Mickey days, but Withers and Houston really stepped things up. The FBS offers are there. Now P5 offers are much more rare, though we have a few (4).

Only looked up our last class, but most had a couple of FBS offers ( not just interest). Based on the press release after the two signing periods. https://jmusports.com/news/2019/2/5/foot...ay-19.aspx
It also doesn't include the 3 FBS transfers (2 of them P5). So out of 16 inked, all but 2 had at least 1 FBS offer

Julio Amayel: Army, Kentucky
Hunter Bullock: Army, Charlotte, GA St., ODU
Kevin Curry: None
Dorian Davis (left team already): Army, Kent St., Liberty
Austin Douglas: Arkansas St, GA St.
Julien Green:UVA
CJ Jackson: Army, Air Force, ECU, Purdue, ODU, Navy, Marshall, Kent St
Sean Johns: Buffalo, Charlotte, Kent St., Marshall
Carlo Jones: None
Taurus Jones: App St., Charlotte, ODU
Tanner Morris: Army, Charlotte, Navy
Latrelle Palmer: Army, Air Force, Navy
Jordan White: Army, Buffalo, Cincinnati, Kentucky
What that tells me is that the G5 schools that moved up really haven't been able to up their game that much in the recruiting side if they are still competing with us for athletes. We're already getting players that would allow us to compete favorably at that level, so we're ready to go from a football perspective.

Also as an * I wouldn't really count Army in the same way as other D1 offers in so much as they offer everybody under the sun in hopes of filling out their ranks.
08-01-2019 07:57 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: OT: Connecticut moving to Big East for all sports except football - JMaddy - 08-01-2019 07:57 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.