Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Childers not shying away from competition
Bookmark and Share
Teamduh Offline
1st String

I Root For: NIU Northern Il
RE: Childers not shying away from competition
(04-25-2019 03:21 PM)freehuskie Wrote:  
(04-15-2019 09:19 AM)NIU32 Wrote:  With the Hammock era underway, no starting spots are safe

DeKALB — Even after winning a Mid-American Conference championship last season, returning football starters are fighting for their spots all over again.

With the departure of former Head Coach Rod Carey and the arrival of Thomas Hammock, returning starters like redshirt sophomore quarterback Marcus Childers are having to prove they have a role to play in the new offense.

Childers said the players, new and old, won’t shy away from competition.

“We all embrace the grind,” Childers said. “We always want to get better, and the best way to do that is through competition.”

The former MAC Freshman of the Year threw for 2,175 yards to go with 15 touchdowns last season. This spring, Childers is in competition with junior Anthony Thomas, redshirt first-year Jiya Wright and Drake Davis, transfer first-year from the University of Illinois.

Childers said it’s not just quarterbacks competing, it’s across the board.

“There’s great competition between some of us,” Childers said. “I know in the quarterback room we have a big quarterback battle going on - same in the running back room. There’s just good competition everywhere.”
Related: Spring football heats up with full speed practice
With the Hammock era underway, no starting spots are safe

Redshirt-sophomore quarterback Marcus Childers scrambles Oct 13 during the Huskies’ 24-21 victory.
Chris Rojo | Northern Star

The backfield’s other half has also been highly competitive. Junior returning starter Tre Harbison, senior Marcus Jones and sophomore Jordan Neddles will be vying for the starting running back position.

With all new coaches and an all new system, Childers said the competition for starting positions is tougher this year than in the past. The quarterback said the competition makes everyone better because it forces everyone to up their game every day.

“With the new system we got put into, everyone has to learn it,” Childers said. “I know we’re all still trying to learn it and get the basics down. We’re making strides everyday.”

The competition for the starting quarterback position doesn’t end Saturday when the team plays its annual spring game. Ross Bowers, who is transferring from the University of California, is expected to join the team after the spring semester, according to multiple media reports.

Bowers started 12 games for the Bruins in 2017, throwing for 3,039 yards and 18 touchdowns. Bowers took a medical redshirt last season after reaggravating a thumb injury.

Childers said the locker room isn’t afraid of more competition, saying he wants to play with winners who can compete.

“We’re happy to have a new guy in the room,” Childers said. “We want champions. We want guys who want to play for us and want to get better. I can’t wait to see him get here and have a little fun.”

https://northernstar.info/sports/with-th...=hootsuite

I thought Bowers was coming to us from UC Berkeley (the Golden Bears), not the UCLA Bruins as indicated in the article.
It said University of California which is not the same as UCLA.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
04-30-2019 09:15 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: Childers not shying away from competition - Teamduh - 04-30-2019 09:15 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.