[split] Mike Bloomgren's 2nd Rice recruiting class
RiceFootball2K5 Offline
1st String

I Root For:
RE: [split] Mike Bloomgren's 2nd Rice recruiting class
(07-12-2018 10:05 AM)waltgreenberg Wrote:  
(07-12-2018 09:46 AM)OptimisticOwl Wrote:  
(07-12-2018 06:47 AM)Owl 69/70/75 Wrote:  
(06-28-2018 04:06 PM)Barney Wrote:  Next season, I don't care as much about wins as I do seeing smarts, precision, and attitude. If we somehow managed 6 wins and a bowl berth, I think things could really take off in a major way.

I agree. The qualitative aspects are going to be more important than the quantitative. But if we see smarts, precision, and attitude, I think we will play in a bowl.

I agree, all those things would likely bring more wins. How many more, is the question. So if we don't play in a bowl, what does that mean? Because I don't think we are. I think 3 wins is the over/under.

BTW, since we have 13 games, don't we need 7 wins to bowl?

I think, at some point, we will have a lineman jump offside on first and goal. At some point we will see the QB float a pass to the cornerback when the WR is streaking free. At some point we will call a TO (or two) in the first quarter. At some point we will get sloppy play, or play calling we don't agree with.

I hope not, but our guys are still human. Bloom is still human. It will be interesting to see the Parliament reaction when some of these things happen.

I know that I am supposed to be the optimist, but here I will have to take the pessimist role until shown otherwise. I am not at all sure that attitude will survive a brutal September. The person I hope has the smarts is the play caller.

At this point, I just hope Bloom doesn't clap his hands when encouraging players to do better.

We are in the honeymoon phase. I just hope we are still happy with the marriage in December.

Oddly for you, OO, I think you're selling Bloomgren and this new coaching staff short. I think 4.5 wins is the over-under, and given we play in CUSA West, I don't think 6 wins and a bottom bowl bid is an unrealistic goal. Dramatically improved discipline, accountability and execution will go a long way, as will sticking to a consistent offensive approach. Also, as I've alluded to previously, I think Coach Lembro and our new emphasis/focus on special teams play will result in an incremental win or two or even three.

I'm not expecting miracles, and we don't have the talent or depth this year to compete with Top 50 caliber programs, but the majority of our schedule is against bottom quartile teams against whom we should have a fighting chance, even if as underdogs.

I'm as big a Bloomgren optimist as any, but our roster is just not in good shape, especially with the losses of the grad transfers, the medical DQ guys, and Padgett. We're lacking defensively especially. We're going to have to rely on quite a few freshmen to play immediately. And QB is still a giant question mark.

That said, we can beat PVU, Hawaii, and UTEP for sure, and I expect us to. FIU, UTSA, and Old Dominion are possibilities if it really comes together. Anything beyond that is a pretty big stretch this year.
07-12-2018 10:22 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: [split] Mike Bloomgren's 2nd Rice recruiting class - RiceFootball2K5 - 07-12-2018 10:22 AM
Q - Buho00 - 12-28-2018, 12:57 PM
Best Rice Athlete Ever - owlman70 - 06-03-2019, 04:08 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.