Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Chadwell to Liberty?
WesternBlazer Online
Hall of Famer

I Root For: UAB
Exclamation Chadwell to Liberty?
https://footballscoop.com/news/coaching-...y-chadwell

Pete Thamel@PeteThamel
Sources: Liberty has targeted Coastal Carolina’s Jamey Chadwell to be the school’s next coach. There’s mutual interest, but deal is not done and Chadwell is waiting until after the Sun Belt title game to make a final decision.

Chadwell has informed other suitors that he’s out of those jobs, as Liberty looms as his outside preference. Multiple reports today from Liberty and elsewhere have mentioned varying levels of Liberty’s interest in Chadwell.
12-01-2022 10:58 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

rook360 Offline
All American

RE: Chadwell to Liberty?
(12-01-2022 10:58 PM)WesternBlazer Wrote:  https://footballscoop.com/news/coaching-...y-chadwell

Pete Thamel@PeteThamel
Sources: Liberty has targeted Coastal Carolina’s Jamey Chadwell to be the school’s next coach. There’s mutual interest, but deal is not done and Chadwell is waiting until after the Sun Belt title game to make a final decision.

Chadwell has informed other suitors that he’s out of those jobs, as Liberty looms as his outside preference. Multiple reports today from Liberty and elsewhere have mentioned varying levels of Liberty’s interest in Chadwell.

Thats gonna hurt a few egos for sure if he takes the job.
12-02-2022 09:53 AM
GreenFreakUAB Offline
All American

(12-02-2022 09:53 AM)rook360 Wrote:  
(12-01-2022 10:58 PM)WesternBlazer Wrote:  https://footballscoop.com/news/coaching-...y-chadwell

Pete Thamel@PeteThamel

Thats gonna hurt a few egos for sure if he takes the job.

...the SBC message board will make for interesting reading if it happens...
12-02-2022 09:59 AM
NewTimes Offline
All American

I Root For: Flames & Canes
If Chadwell moves to Liberty, who takes over at Coastal as the new HC?

The 4 year success Freeze had at LU has elevated the program immensely. Freeze was given most things he wanted and needed at LU and he produced with 8+ regular season wins and 3 bowl wins and a 4th bowl upcoming. That's increased the desirability and appeal of the program.

No way Chadwell would have considered LU 4 years ago, as even today, it is considered a lateral move with the success that CCU has enjoyed. So, it's facilities and resources that are the factors if Chadwell moves to LU. And the past fears that SBC schools had about LU's resources and commitment to athletics, along with LU's past polarizing positions, will be justified if Chadwell makes the LU leap. That creates a level of separation.

Was the SBC shortsighted in not inviting LU years ago? If Chadwell is able to continue the LU success, he'll continue to elevate the program and allow LU to further distance itself from G5 programs (especially SBC schools) in athletics success. The greater factor most fans consider is a winning sports tradition rather than academic standards or zany world views and idiotic social stances. LU currently loses on the academics and loony past actions, but is currently winning the athletic success.
12-02-2022 10:42 AM
SMUfan Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: SMU
Would Bill Clark be interested in Coastal?
12-02-2022 10:52 AM
Advertisement

DuelingDragon Online
All American

Liberty has those big bank checks. They can outbid any G5, I think, if they want to.

I could see Bill being interested in Coastal. Great place to live.
12-02-2022 12:54 PM
blazerblazer Online
1st String

It's an increase in money but a decrease in clout and schedule.
If Troy, Coastal, or South Alabama couldn't get ranked this year, then it will more difficult for Liberty to get ranked in the new CUSA layout.
UTSA just got ranked in Coaches and AP, but not in the CFP poll. But I'm sure if UTSA, Troy, or Coastal win their conference championship this weekend then maybe the CFP committee will throw them a bone and rank UTSA 24 and Troy/Coastal 25.

I'd rather see him at USF, which would make a strong AAC with UCF, Cinci, and Houston leaving.
(This post was last modified: 12-02-2022 01:03 PM by blazerblazer.)
12-02-2022 01:01 PM
Engblazr Offline
Special Teams

All due respect to Liberty, but how are they already distanced from G5 and looking to further that gap? In the last two seasons they have lost to UConn, New Mexico State, and UL Monroe. The nature of their independent scheduling gave them Akron, UMass, ODU, Gardner-Webb this season. Most decent G5 programs would easily be 8-4 with a same schedule.

That 10 win season? They beat FIU, UNA, UL Monroe, 1 win Syracuse, 3 win USM, 5 win WKU, Western Carolina (1 win FCS), and UMass. Credit for beating a good Coastal Carolina and credit for beating VaTech (albeit 5 win VaTech) but dang that’s soft.

I’m not saying they’re bad or have done bad, that’s not the case. They’ve had a good run. But I don’t think they’re as good or will continue getting all the hype with a conference schedule. I mean, they will have a financial advantage, but as we see that doesn’t always translate. (USF in American. TAMU in SEC. Texas in Big12. Miami in ACC)
(This post was last modified: 12-02-2022 01:14 PM by Engblazr.)
12-02-2022 01:13 PM
DuelingDragon Online
All American

They also beat 4 power 5 teams and were close to 3-4 other wins.

Liberty is not going to be a “cusa team” — they will be a national team with money to do things, including scheduling out of conference, that others cannot do.

Have no idea how successful they will be but they will have hiring capabilities few below the American will be able to do.
12-02-2022 02:12 PM
Advertisement

Engblazr Offline
Special Teams

(12-02-2022 02:12 PM)DuelingDragon Wrote:  They also beat 4 power 5 teams and were close to 3-4 other wins.

Liberty is not going to be a “cusa team” — they will be a national team with money to do things, including scheduling out of conference, that others cannot do.

Have no idea how successful they will be but they will have hiring capabilities few below the American will be able to do.

They have beaten 3 with only 6-6 Arkansas being bowl eligible. The other two were 1 win Syracuse and 5-7 VaTech. Marshall beat a 9 win Notre Dame this season but nobody is hyping them up as not a “sunbelt team” and they’re not a “national team.” Throw them our OOC P5 games and see what happens. I’m going to assume not much. I mean, one season under Freeze they went 8-5, beat NMSU twice played two FCS schools, and UMass. That was 5 of their 8 wins. The real world will be calling soon.
(This post was last modified: 12-02-2022 02:58 PM by Engblazr.)
12-02-2022 02:57 PM
BlazintheAtl1 Offline
All American

(12-02-2022 02:57 PM)Engblazr Wrote:  
(12-02-2022 02:12 PM)DuelingDragon Wrote:  They also beat 4 power 5 teams and were close to 3-4 other wins.

They have beaten 3 with only 6-6 Arkansas being bowl eligible. The other two were 1 win Syracuse and 5-7 VaTech. Marshall beat a 9 win Notre Dame this season but nobody is hyping them up as not a “sunbelt team” and they’re not a “national team.” Throw them our OOC P5 games and see what happens. I’m going to assume not much. I mean, one season under Freeze they went 8-5, beat NMSU twice played two FCS schools, and UMass. That was 5 of their 8 wins. The real world will be calling soon.

They also beat us two years in a row. I get what you're saying, but Liberty has proven they will invest heavily in their program and use their massive resources to win. I think they will enter the new CUSA as one of the top programs in the league. I think they would enter any G5 conference as one of the top programs. If they weren't "Liberty" and didn't carry with them all of that extra non sports related baggage they would be going to the AAC with us.
12-02-2022 03:04 PM
Engblazr Offline
Special Teams

(12-02-2022 03:04 PM)BlazintheAtl1 Wrote:  

They also beat us two years in a row. I get what you're saying, but Liberty has proven they will invest heavily in their program and use their massive resources to win. I think they will enter the new CUSA as one of the top programs in the league. I think they would enter any G5 conference as one of the top programs. If they weren't "Liberty" and didn't carry with them all of that extra non sports related baggage they would be going to the AAC with us.

They will invest. I’m just saying they’re not heads and shoulders above the rest of the G5 like they claim. They have had one of the easiest schedules in FBS every season Freeze has been there and have had meh records.

Liberty 8-5 FPI 104 SOS 125
UAB 9-5 FPI 97 SOS 122

Liberty 10-1 FPI 76 SOS 95
UAB 6-3 FPI 61 SOS 87

Liberty 8-5 FPI 56 SOS 106
UAB 9-4 FPI 60 SOS 46

Liberty 8-4 FPI 83 SOS 118
UAB 6-6 FPI 66 SOS 94

Here is the record, FPI, and FPI SOS of both programs during the Freeze tenure. They’d have been similar in CUSA to us over that time. They’d have potentially missed a bowl every season in the American or MWC. They have played an easier strength of schedule than us every single season despite us playing in a garbage iteration of CUSA. I just don’t get the hype apart from the money they blow.
(This post was last modified: 12-02-2022 03:24 PM by Engblazr.)
12-02-2022 03:18 PM
BlazerGreen Offline
All American

I Root For: UAB, Goals
What Liberty has is huge $ and the will to use it. In America that will overcome most obstacles to your goals.
12-02-2022 04:00 PM
Advertisement

NewTimes Offline
All American

This is a good post and you make valid points. Liberty has desires to make a statement and win in the CUSA. And over time, excel enough to be considered for higher conferences. As wild as it may seem, LU has the goal to play at the highest level in whatever conference that may be in the future. True they've had a mish mash schedule as an indy with more low level teams and few high level teams. But they have had notable success against P5 teams.

As a FBS program in it's 4th year, it's one of the most successful programs moving from FCS. LU floundered in the FCS and had only one FCS playoff victory. To then rise so quickly in FBS shows they have a plan and are willing to spend to achieve it. And they are a lightning rod alienating many fan bases, which creates great theatre and opposing team interest.
12-02-2022 05:17 PM
WesternBlazer Online
Hall of Famer

12-04-2022 03:09 PM
Atlanta Trojan Offline
Sun Belt Nationalist

I Root For: TROY
Liberty paying the man over 4 million and he never won a championship in the SBC lol.
12-04-2022 03:27 PM
Atlanta Trojan Offline
Sun Belt Nationalist

I Root For: TROY
(12-02-2022 01:01 PM)blazerblazer Wrote:  It's an increase in money but a decrease in clout and schedule.
If Troy, Coastal, or South Alabama couldn't get ranked this year, then it will more difficult for Liberty to get ranked in the new CUSA layout.
UTSA just got ranked in Coaches and AP, but not in the CFP poll. But I'm sure if UTSA, Troy, or Coastal win their conference championship this weekend then maybe the CFP committee will throw them a bone and rank UTSA 24 and Troy/Coastal 25.

I'd rather see him at USF, which would make a strong AAC with UCF, Cinci, and Houston leaving.

We came in at #24… UTSA is #25
12-04-2022 03:28 PM
Advertisement

UAB Band Dad Offline
Occasionally Reasonable

I Root For: A Free UAB!
BlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk Award
Coastal has hired Tim Beck, the OC at NC State.
(This post was last modified: 12-04-2022 05:40 PM by UAB Band Dad.)
12-04-2022 05:39 PM
NewTimes Offline
All American

Tis true.
12-04-2022 10:56 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.