Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Rice vs McNeese State
WestGrayStreetOwl Offline
2nd String

I Root For: Rice
RE: Rice vs McNeese State
(09-12-2022 01:02 AM)Grungy Wrote:  
(09-10-2022 08:09 PM)Tomball Owl Wrote:  
(09-10-2022 08:07 PM)loki_the_bubba Wrote:  I'm being asked by my family if the baton twirlers is parody or serious.

Haven’t seen a twirler in a MOB show since Marvin Zindler.

The twirler is the daughter of the current mayor of West U.
She gets experience twirling before a crowd, and proud mom can take lots of pictures.
Said mayor was a flautist in The MOB in the early 80s.

The MOB had a real live undergraduate student twirling nearly every game roughly 10 years ago, for all of her years at Rice. She has since graduated from Baylor College of Medicine, and is in residency training.

I think Marvin last twirled for us in 1993, briefly, during our 20th anniversary A&M show.

Ha. I've known that twirler since she was negative years old. If she ends up at Rice, I believe she will be a third generation Owl.
09-12-2022 06:14 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Kayjay Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: Owls
(09-10-2022 11:30 PM)Intellectual_Brutality Wrote:  Positives:
- Receivers got open, had good hands by and large
- I didn't like McMahon's accuracy on deep balls but he looks really good at everything else
- Secondary with the turnovers
- OL and DL
- Lack of surprises with special teams

Negatives
- attendance/atmosphere
- espn color guy opposite Salzman

No real complaints outside of missed opportunities on long passes due to inaccurate throws

Just a couple of observations from the game/stadium:

Run/Pass ratio was 58/42% against a team that Rice could have gone 75/25%. I believe that the offense is opening up more than some of the fans will acknowledge. Rice still believes that establishing the run first is essential to open up the passing game, but the fact that they passed 4 out of every 10 plays against an inferior opponent (and with a lead) is encouraging.

While the student/McNeese side of the stadium was somewhat sparse (students showed up pretty well for at least the first half), the Rice side of the stadium had
many more people, which is promising against a team like McNeese State.

The stadium upgrades (which were long overdue) are a great first step in the renovation of the facility. Much more work needs to be done but I was pleased with the upgrades. The "Flight Decks" are very nice and hopefully will bring in enhanced revenue for the program.

For a 2nd string QB, TJ McMahon is a upgrade over most (if not all) of the more recent quarterbacks the team has started since the graduation of Driphus Jackson after the 2015 season.

Rice was penalized 7 times, which is about average for this team last year (averaged 7.4 penalties, ranked #110 in the nation out of 130 in 2021). The best team nationally averaged 3.7 last year. In game 1 the Owls were flagged 4 times. Discipline, Discipline, Discipline...
09-13-2022 11:13 AM
Fort Bend Owl Offline
Legend

I Root For: An easy win
The Parliament Awards
(09-13-2022 11:13 AM)Kayjay Wrote:  
(09-10-2022 11:30 PM)Intellectual_Brutality Wrote:  Positives:
- Receivers got open, had good hands by and large
- I didn't like McMahon's accuracy on deep balls but he looks really good at everything else
- Secondary with the turnovers
- OL and DL
- Lack of surprises with special teams

Negatives
- attendance/atmosphere
- espn color guy opposite Salzman

No real complaints outside of missed opportunities on long passes due to inaccurate throws

Just a couple of observations from the game/stadium:

Run/Pass ratio was 58/42% against a team that Rice could have gone 75/25%. I believe that the offense is opening up more than some of the fans will acknowledge. Rice still believes that establishing the run first is essential to open up the passing game, but the fact that they passed 4 out of every 10 plays against an inferior opponent (and with a lead) is encouraging.

While the student/McNeese side of the stadium was somewhat sparse (students showed up pretty well for at least the first half), the Rice side of the stadium had
many more people, which is promising against a team like McNeese State.

The stadium upgrades (which were long overdue) are a great first step in the renovation of the facility. Much more work needs to be done but I was pleased with the upgrades. The "Flight Decks" are very nice and hopefully will bring in enhanced revenue for the program.

For a 2nd string QB, TJ McMahon is a upgrade over most (if not all) of the more recent quarterbacks the team has started since the graduation of Driphus Jackson after the 2015 season.

Rice was penalized 7 times, which is about average for this team last year (averaged 7.4 penalties, ranked #110 in the nation out of 130 in 2021). The best team nationally averaged 3.7 last year. In game 1 the Owls were flagged 4 times. Discipline, Discipline, Discipline...

Great point. I was shocked we were still throwing the ball as much as we were when it was 52-10. In fact, I was wondering if the McNeese coach was going to be a little hot under the collar with our play selection.
09-13-2022 03:41 PM
Texasowl Offline
1st String

I Root For: Rice University
I saw where UH is peddling seats for the Kansas games at $12. Are they having trouble selling out even thou capacity in 40,000?
(This post was last modified: 09-13-2022 08:34 PM by Texasowl.)
09-13-2022 08:32 PM
Grungy Offline

New Orleans Bowl
(09-13-2022 08:32 PM)Texasowl Wrote:  I saw where UH is peddling seats for the Kansas games at $12. Are they having trouble selling out even thou capacity in 40,000?

Tickets for the Rice game run from $15 to $130, with four-packs at $21 for each seat.

Most of the lower bowl is sold out, except for what I recall as being where Rice fans are sentenced to sit, in the end zone.
09-14-2022 12:06 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
texowl2 Offline
All American

I Root For:
New Orleans Bowl
(09-11-2022 12:35 PM)Tomball Owl Wrote:  
(09-11-2022 11:48 AM)franklyconfused Wrote:  
(09-11-2022 11:33 AM)Tomball Owl Wrote:  
(09-11-2022 10:43 AM)bigowlsfan Wrote:  
(09-10-2022 08:48 PM)Tomball Owl Wrote:  And the Bloom offense rears its ugly head. 3rd and 2 and he goes back to the toss back play which loses 3. Why???

Because we averaged 5 yards a run, and running keeps the clock going, even if the play is not successful?

A team, this team, can run successfully without tossing the ball backwards several yards. More negative to neutral results than positive results from the toss back play.

The toss dive doesn't fail because the ball goes backwards. A traditional handoff takes it back, too, and so did the snaps to all our McHargue-Ross option plays in 2012-13. The theory of the toss dive is supposed to be that the ball gets to the halfback's hands more quickly, giving him more time to react to the how the blocking develops. The deficiency in the design is that it gives away the inside run call that much more quickly, letting the linebackers and secondary key in on their run fits a few steps earlier. Even if the HB has more time to read the blocking, there's likely fewer gaps to find than if the defense was concerned about whether the QB kept the ball on a bootleg coming out of the handoff. We could maybe relieve some of this pressure by having the HB try a pop pass to a tight end from time to time, but Bloomgren's (and David Shaw's) entire thesis for running this instead of a traditional handoff is the belief that the o-line is or should be so dominant anyway that the run should succeed regardless of how the HB gets the ball.

You’re response highlights all that is wrong with the toss back. Ball goes backwards 3-5 yards vs 2-3 on a handoff, shows inside run early, and eliminates QB play fake, bootleg, etc.

So what’s good about the toss back? Gets the ball into the RBs hands early? If the OL isn’t opening holes, it just means there is the the potential for a greater loss.

Color me not a fan of that play. Ever.

in 50+ yrs of watching football, that is the stupidest play i have ever seen. Well oops, I forgot McGuffie up the middle and calling timeout at the first play of the half, but i digress....
09-14-2022 12:18 PM
texowl2 Offline
All American

I Root For:
New Orleans Bowl
(09-13-2022 08:32 PM)Texasowl Wrote:  I saw where UH is peddling seats for the Kansas games at $12. Are they having trouble selling out even thou capacity in 40,000?

yes-just horrible fans in multiple ways of being horrible...
09-14-2022 12:41 PM
mrbig Offline
Heisman

(09-10-2022 09:17 PM)owlatheart Wrote:  With all due respect it's freaking 52-10!! I could give a crap 02-13-banana

03-old With all due respect, "I could give a crap" and "I could care less" don't really mean anything at all. "I couldn't give a crap" and "I couldn't care less" are the correct phrases.

Pet peeve of mine 03-rotfl
09-15-2022 12:15 PM
WRCisforgotten79 Offline
Hall of Famer

(09-15-2022 12:15 PM)mrbig Wrote:  
(09-10-2022 09:17 PM)owlatheart Wrote:  With all due respect it's freaking 52-10!! I could give a crap 02-13-banana

03-old With all due respect, "I could give a crap" and "I could care less" don't really mean anything at all. "I couldn't give a crap" and "I couldn't care less" are the correct phrases.

Thank you! 04-clap2
09-15-2022 02:08 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
owl at the moon Offline
Eastern Screech Owl

I Root For: rice,smu,uh,unt
Rice vs McNeese State

Or in @Heart’s defense, the two assertions may have been made without any implied connection. Try adding “hmm, oh! by the way,” between the two sentences to see what I mean…
09-15-2022 09:30 PM
owlatheart Offline
All American

I Root For: Rice's honor
(09-15-2022 02:08 PM)WRCisforgotten79 Wrote:  

Thank you! 04-clap2
I couldn't decide whether to give a crap or not give a crap........tough choice after watching Rice football for 60 years.04-cheers
09-15-2022 10:37 PM
Owl 69/70/75 Offline
Just an old rugby coach

I Root For: RiceBathChelsea

DonatorsNew Orleans Bowl
Right now, a crap is about all I could give.
09-16-2022 05:07 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.